Ahgoddamnit!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrus

Reaction score
My keg guy fell through. My mate was gonnahook me up with an empty keg or 3... would of been perfect for getting my AG set up going. So now I have no kegs and no AG setup. Im gonna have to find another place to get my empty kegs from. Grrrr....

New kegs can be expensive. I don't know what you consider cheap, but the deposit on a keg is only $30. Keep track of parties, and just pay the keg-buyer the deposit for the keg.

marosell said:
New kegs can be expensive. I don't know what you consider cheap, but the deposit on a keg is only $30. Keep track of parties, and just pay the keg-buyer the deposit for the keg.

We don't condone the illegal use of brewery kegs for homebrewing. I'm sure there are legal methods of purchasing a keg or two.
Contact a local brewery. They usually decommision kegs regularly and punch holes in the top to prevent re-use. But we cut the top out anyway, so they are useful.

marosell said:
New kegs can be expensive.

These kegs were gonna be free... well maybe they would of cost me a few home brews... but thats a good price.

Might be worth sending off a few emails to brewerys in the area... guess that couldnt hurt.

Wouldnt shipping something that big from the US be SUPER expencive?

I don't know how it is down under but here in the states, I can walk into a liquor store and buy used sankey kegs for anywhere from $15-$50 depending... you may try that too 'cause I think shipping will kill you... cheers!

boo boo said:
We don't condone the illegal use of brewery kegs for homebrewing. I'm sure there are legal methods of purchasing a keg or two.
Contact a local brewery. They usually decommision kegs regularly and punch holes in the top to prevent re-use. But we cut the top out anyway, so they are useful.

how is it illegal? the point of the security deposit is for the vendor to recoup losses if the keg gets damaged or not returned. they get their moneys out of it if you have to cash in the deposit.

uglygoat said:
how is it illegal? the point of the security deposit is for the vendor to recoup losses if the keg gets damaged or not returned. they get their moneys out of it if you have to cash in the deposit.

Agreed. That's the whole reason that the distributors charge a deposit fee. They could set it to whatever they need to to justify the possibility of a keg not coming back. Not my fault that they only charge a $30 deposit and there are no further crimal penalties if I keep the keg afterward.

ohiobrewtus said:
Agreed. That's the whole reason that the distributors charge a deposit fee. They could set it to whatever they need to to justify the possibility of a keg not coming back. Not my fault that they only charge a $30 deposit and there are no further crimal penalties if I keep the keg afterward.

I think kegs cost the distributors more than that, they probably don't want to ask for a $150 deposit as its too much.

I rang the 2 major breweries in Auckland today and they don't allow anyone having their old kegs so they destroy them. How stink is that!

Muss - check junk yards and recyclers, they usually have a few.

Latest posts

Back