Welch's Grape juice with calcium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigbrew

Reaction score
I went to make J.Q.G.M. the other day and when I bought the grape juice I didn't even look at it. I just grabbed one. I happen to grab Welch's 100% grape juice with calcium. I was wondering if this will ferment?

here are the ingredients
Welch's, 100% Grape Juice, Calcium

INGREDIENTS: Filtered Water, Grape Juice Concentrate, Grape Juice, Calcium Gluconate, Calcium Lactate, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)

I did a search for the 2 Calcium ones but did not come up with any thing that say about it stopping fermentation.

Brew on
CraigBrew

I'd have also thought that it might start with a higher pH. Not that that's an issue, as long as it's on the acidic scale, it should be fine.

People do forget how acid honey musts are, mainly because the sweetness masks it. Then they test it, find it low and panic. One of the things they use to decrease acidity is calcium carbonate a.k.a. Chalk.....

Thanks for the responses. It started to ferment the next day and has been going strong.

Yooper, Thanks again for the back sweetening advice and J.A.O.M. recipe.

Back