PVC Hop Spider... Safe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dgonza9

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine.

af3597aa.jpg

I've used it 8 or 10 times, just use a clamp to hold a paint strainer bag on it. Doesn't seem to have softened the pvc at all. No rust. But I don't like using PVC above my boil anyway.

Anyone know if this is a bad idea?

I'm looking into building another one from stainless, but so far I don't have much of a plan and I'm ready to brew up a Green Flash IIPA clone. Cheers.:mug:

I've seen some photo's of melted pvc spiders. It would seem to depend on how close to the boil it is. Until you come up with a different version you could just clip the bag to the sides of the kettle or a long metal rod across the top.

Just don't dip the damn thing into the boiling wort. I speak from experience, it'll melt damn quick.

Above the boil, I think you are fine. Even if the PVC is leaching some bad stuff into the steam vapor, all that vapor is headed UP (good ol' heat rising), so I don't see an issue.

This has worked fine, but I think I'm going to look into the SS sink drain. I'm not sure how I'd make one out of copper, though. If I find the link I'll post it here.

Thanks, guys.

I found 6" schedule 10 stainless pipe on ebay priced by the foot. I have a piece left over about 6" in length if anyone is interested. Or I can fabricate just the frame with all stainless hardware, and you supply the paint strainer bag.

2011-04-20_18-42-31_200.jpg

I have no idea of the "safe" aspect of this. I melted mine, after 2 uses it was no longer round. I also had a spot of rust on 1 of the bolts. I scrapped the entire mess for this: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/all-stainless-steel-deluxe-hop-bag-spider-cheap-238341/

Since then I have brewed 2 batches with the modded keg top. Due to DMS concerns (not that I ever tasted any DMS in my beer). I inverted the eye bolts, raising the cover by a good 4-6 inches. I served 2 1/4 bbls at my wedding party and none of my guests mentioned anything other than "Damn that was good!" to me and 1 was a wheat beer...I will update that thread with this info as well and try to get some pics of the newer configuration tomorrow.

BTW, I love Realales spider! That is nice!

Not sure on the semantics of a copper pipe type spider but I'm sure it could be done... let me think about it ;)

I do like the idea of the S/S strainer type though.

Back