My review of the new Sierra Nevada Beer Camp pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I bought the new Sierra Nevada Beer Camp pack today for 12/$20 that included 3 each of Weizenbock, California Common, Double IPA and Juniper Black Ale. When I got home from work I tried one of each and here is my review:
First- Cal Common. This was a fine example of the style epitomized by the excellent Anchor Steam Beer. I thought this SN beer was more fruity than Anchor and I thought it tasted like my own homebrewed version of the style.The emphasis here is on the Northern Brewer hops which is more woody than the citrusy hops. This one was my favorite.

Second- Weizenbock. I could not even finish this beer. The intense bananna, Clove and bubblegum flavors reminded me of some of my own homebrewed failures. I apparently cannot appreciate this style.

Third- Double IPA. While I can appreciate this style for the intense citrus hop profile, it's just not for me. Great hop flavor and aroma too but too bitter and over the top for me.

Fourth- Juniper black Ale. This is really a stout. Pretty darn dry but thankfully not bone dry. Quite bitter though and that may please some but not me. The Juniper flavor is apparent but mildly so. This one is my second favorite.

I definitely won't buy this pack again but it was a fun beer adventure that I rarely take anymore. It helped me realize that I myself brew my favorite beers.

The Weizenbock was gross. The Double IPA was really good and the Juniper Black Ale was AWESOME! The Cal Common was something that I wouldn't go out of my way for but good.

I wouldnt go out of my way to get another 12 pack,but was worthwhile. I liked the black ale juniper mostly for the origionality and liking juniper after a rougue juniperpale ale. I dont care for doubles much but it was very good.
As for the new addition, I was disapointed in Ovila also @15$ i was kinda pissed after it tasting so average for a Belgian double,still a decent beer-maybe i should have aged it or something.

I'd seen this recently and made a mental note to give them a try. While I'm not a fan of a Weizenbock the other three do interest me.

Thanks for the review Beerbeque!

I wouldnt go out of my way to get another 12 pack,but was worthwhile. I liked the black ale juniper mostly for the origionality and liking juniper after a rougue juniperpale ale. I dont care for doubles much but it was very good.
I was disapointed in Ovila also @15$ i was kinda pissed after it tasting so average for a Belgian double,still a decent beer-maybe i should have aged it or something.

Ovila was good for the $7.99 we have it for. I can't believe the gouging some places is charging for this. Was expecting it to be more so I picked up 3 bottles

Ovila was good for the $7.99 we have it for. I can't believe the gouging some places is charging for this. Was expecting it to be more so I picked up 3 bottles

Yeah i regret not getting it sooner when it was 11.99.Fancy pants label.Mediocre dubble.Next. Love there seasonals though cant seem to buy enough southern harvest.Gonna be all over the Estate ale in October again,for shure.Still looking forward to trying the other Belgians, I just like what they are doing for that brewery also,always like to see a good brewery doing good things.

I tend to like stronger beers with bold hop profiles, so my ranking put the black juniper ale at the top of the list, followed by the double IPA, then the CA common, and lastly, the weizenbock. My son, who is just starting to try out craft beers liked the weizenbock the best, so it is probably a good starter beer.

I was able to get the 12 pack for $18 at my local grocery store, so I think it was well worth the money (particularly since my son was around to drink the weizenbocks).

Back