Keg + Bayou Classic SP10 = fail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So after buying a cheap keg off of craigslist ($60...I'm so proud of myself!), I come home and plop it on my new Bayou Classic SP10 just to check that it sits right.

Well.

It barely hangs over the edges on each side. There's no sway (even when I push it), but I'm ticked/worried that it might be a safety issue when brew day rolls around and it's sitting over open flame with 7 gallons of boiling wort inside. Thought I might return the SP10 and get something like the SQ10...thoughts?

hey if you can return it or reuse it, go with another one. i think mines an 'eastman', and has 3 vertical pins (the legs extend above the rim or "top" of the burner platform. my keg rim surrounds those and is pinned on top.

you could just bolt on some pins? an 8 inch strip of steel folded in half, pushed up from underneath and thru-bolted?

I would return it and get the SQ-14 if possible. Better burner and better stand too IMO. I prefer the ring type burner over the cup type diffuser burner for better heat distribution. OTOH, you could modify the SP-10 stand fairly easily to accommodate most any kettle. I'd weld some extensions to the support ring. Know someone with a welder?

I had a similar issue with my CampChef burner.... (May be same MFG)....

I used 2 pieces of 15" angle iron.... placed it on the 2 opposing outside edges and the keg on top.... never had issue with it after that...

Note I have replaced the campchef with my own design rig...

I saw where someone simply placed a round BBQ grate on the SP-10 to support a converted keg. I'd forgotten about that trick. The cool thing about that method is that you can remove it for compact storage. Cheap and easy solution.

I have the same burner and had the same problem. Solved the problem with a 10$ bbq grate from HD and connected it with a few ss worm clamps. No issues yet!

Back