Youthful Indiscretions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So I made a Vanilla Mead about a month and a half ago. I cracked the airlock recently just to get a sample of how it is coming along, and it is beyond delicious. Like, its still sweet with some hint of citrus (I put a cup of strong orange tea in primary) and a pleasant aroma and taste of vanilla.

I am 25. Most would argue that I am not sophisticated yet to appreciate the finer things in life... but does it get better then this? Is aging it a year going to drastically change the taste?

I know, I am impatient. Its just... really good.

Aging will reduce the alcohol burn and blend those flavors to make even more complex flavors.

Try it at separate ages

So I made a Vanilla Mead about a month and a half ago. I cracked the airlock recently just to get a sample of how it is coming along, and it is beyond delicious. Like, its still sweet with some hint of citrus (I put a cup of strong orange tea in primary) and a pleasant aroma and taste of vanilla.

I am 25. Most would argue that I am not sophisticated yet to appreciate the finer things in life... but does it get better then this? Is aging it a year going to drastically change the taste?

I know, I am impatient. Its just... really good.

What is the recipe?

Bottle some in a few 12oz bottles so you can sample at different ages. You can age that mead for a several years if you want, I don't even think of drinking any of my meads/melomels/cysers until at least the 1.5 year mark. I have 2 cysers that have been bulk aging for over 2 years now, I might bottle them this spring, but I'm in no big hurry. Regards, GF

I tried to create a vanilla similar to that, in a 1 gallon batch and it was terrible after 6 months.. I'm curious to know what kind of extract you used? I'm something of a vanilla junkie and was considering trying vanilla beans for my next go round... but if this is as good as you say I'd like to get the name of the extract and of the honey you used.

I started drinking my first 5 gallon batch after it cleared. I had finished half of it by the 1 year mark and it is sooooo much better. I'm now at the 1.5 years and currently drinking the third to final bottle and I can't believe how much it has improved.

Back