my cider tastes like wine :S

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisM

Reaction score
Well i racked off my cider into the secondary fermentor today, thought id have a wee sip to see how its going.
It tastes more like some sort of wine than cider, all the appley-ness is gone :(

I used pure apple juice that i juiced myself and a bit of yeast

is this normal :?

Alot depends on the apples you use when it comes to cider. Where they an eating apple variety? Eaters tend to loose the 'appleyness' after fermentation.

depends on your yeast also

I like this one http://www.wyeastlab.com/beprlist.htm
1098 British Ale Yeast.
he original dried yeast from Whitbread. Produces beers with a clean neutral finish allowing malt and hop character to dominate. Ferments dry & crisp, slightly tart, fruity and well-balanced. Ferments well down to 65°F (18° C). Flocculation - medium; apparent attenuation 73-75%. (64-72° F, 18-22° C)

but I still want to try this one as well http://www.wyeastlab.com/hvino/homewprlist.htm
4766 Cider
Crisp dry fermenting yeast with big, fruity finish. Creates a nice balance for all types of apples, pears and other fruit or fermentables. Allows fruit character to dominate the profile.

yea it was eating apples, and the yeast was just some cheap stuff i found, so i guess the old thing "you get what you pay for" comes through here heh.

thanks any ways.

any ideas on how i can re-apple-ise it heh?

add more apples? actually put in some sorbate to stop fermentation from starting again. Then add more apples.

yeah, kill the yeast with a campden tablet then add more apples or some apple juice concentrate.

hmm, well im quite fond of strong ish cider, its running at about 5% currently, so if i was to leave it for a few more weeks, let it gain some strength and THEN kill the yeast + add more apples, im guessing that would work nicely?

thanks for ongoing support!

I dunno if it would work but you could always try to overpower the yeast. At what ABV does the yeast die off at? if you like stronger ciders you could add concentrate which will put more sugar in there for the yeasties to eat up and raise the ABV to a point it kills the yiesties off

Caplan whatchya think?

Pumbaa said:
I dunno if it would work but you could always try to overpower the yeast. At what ABV does the yeast die off at? if you like stronger ciders you could add concentrate which will put more sugar in there for the yeasties to eat up and raise the ABV to a point it kills the yiesties off

Caplan whatchya think?

I'm trying that method right now with limited success. I used Wyeast 3766 Cider yeast. This stuff has a voracious appetite for the sweet stuff. I started with 5.5 gallons of cheap juice and have added 4 cans of concentrate so far and they're still munching away with little or no signs of slowing. Excellent taste and very high ABV though. Fermentation started on 7/20. I'm shooting for completion around Halloween. Good luck. :mug:

Pumbaa said:

Caplan whatchya think?

It does work! As Rdracera1 is trying, to kill the yeast by the ABV will work eventually. Apple concentrate is pretty much all fermentable sugars as you said, adding it with a simple cider/ale yeast you'd get up to 10% ABV easily before it stopped fermenting and be safe to bottle. Even with the extra sugars to mask the higher alcohol I'd still recommend it gets matured for at least 9 months (or longer!) - but it would be worth the wait!
Using sorbate (not sulphite) to kill the yeast and re-sweetening/'adding apple flavour' afterwards would be easier as others have said for a lower ABV non-carbonated sweeter cider that'll be drinkable a little sooner.

ok, thanks people, i think ill spit the batch in 2, sweeten one half now and the other later, this was only really a tester any way :)

Back