Filtering????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kip

Reaction score
I'm toying with the idea of filtering my beer so its clear... I've always bottle conditioned until recently so it wasn't really an option. I don't mind my beer being a bit cloudy but it really turns a lot of people off and its something to do :mug::mug:. Anybody have a cheap simple filter system setup you can point me at?

Thanks,

None of them are really cheap. Seriously, as much as its pushed around here, it does work...AGE IT LONGER. Get some Irish moss or other clarifying agent. I got crystal clear results on my pumpkin ale (although it tasted horrible) with irish moss and a 3 day cold crash. Then I let it sit on the counter for 2 more days before I racked it to the bottling bucket. Just remember leave that last inch of beer and sediment in the carboy.

None of them are really cheap. Seriously, as much as its pushed around here, it does work...AGE IT LONGER. Get some Irish moss or other clarifying agent. I got crystal clear results on my pumpkin ale (although it tasted horrible) with irish moss and a 3 day cold crash. Then I let it sit on the counter for 2 more days before I racked it to the bottling bucket. Just remember leave that last inch of beer and sediment in the carboy.

+1 on this,

I have very little yeast in the bottom of my bottles and unless I shake them, NONE in suspension when I pour properly.....I leave my beers a month in primary and minimum 3 weeks in bottles, and chill them which is the same as crash cooling, so I get barely anything.

+2

Month in primary and 3 weeks to a month in bottle and no clarity issues at all. I don't use any boil additives either.

Here is a $39 kit I am about to buy when I place my next kit order.
Beer Filtering Kit | MoreBeer

The filter element is non-reusable but the replacement elements are only $3.75 for the 1.0 micron. You can also go with a 0.5 micron ($17.65) or a 5 micron ($3.95).

Even though they are not reusable, you can use them for multiple batches. I always do two batches the same day anyway so it will only cost me 2 bucks a batch extra for filtered beer.

I'm toying with the idea of filtering my beer so its clear... I've always bottle conditioned until recently so it wasn't really an option. I don't mind my beer being a bit cloudy but it really turns a lot of people off and its something to do :mug::mug:. Anybody have a cheap simple filter system setup you can point me at?

Thanks,

If you really want clear beer, kegging is a great way to go. You never have to worry about sediment in the bottom of your bottles either. When bottling, I never had a truly clear beer, but from the keg it's clear about a week after I rack from primary->keg. I know a kegging setup is a bit overkill, but that's what worked for me.

Here is a $39 kit I am about to buy when I place my next kit order.
Beer Filtering Kit | MoreBeer

The filter element is non-reusable but the replacement elements are only $3.75 for the 1.0 micron. You can also go with a 0.5 micron ($17.65) or a 5 micron ($3.95).

Even though they are not reusable, you can use them for multiple batches. I always do two batches the same day anyway so it will only cost me 2 bucks a batch extra for filtered beer.

I use a similar setup on my wines without the black connectors and without using a keg. But this is definately a cool setup for filtering beer.

Most of these items can be purchased locally (Lowes/HD and the LHBS) so if you are good with your hands on, you could save a few bucks. But the filter kit is a great buy from what I see.

Salute! :mug:

The link to the filter setup is an awesome price for this type of setup. Just make sure you can use the normal filters they sell at lowes or HD. It appears that it does, but make sure anyway.

FWIW this type of filter with the clear base is something like $30 at the bg boxes. Add the fittings, hose, clamps, and then the keg disconnects and you are easily up over $40. The kit linked to is the way to go as far as price is concerned.

This is :off: but as I'm looking more and more into kegging someday, I wonder if anyone out there kegs their beer but DOESN'T have a kegerator? I'm only asking because I'm broke but getting the initial keg/co2 setup is within my price range but also having to get a kegerator puts it out of price for a while.

This may be a dumb question but I was just curious.

Sure. I started that way. I had a friend that had some space in her beer fridge.

Also, you could keg it up, and in the month that it is aging, find a $50 mini fridge. Or build a small jockey box for cooling.

I'll be putting in my first real faucet in about two days :) Everything has been picnic taps til now.

Back