Oaked Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeordye11

Reaction score
I have 2oz of medium roast french oak chips laying around and I was looking for some thoughts about adding it to a Chocolate Stout kit I have yet to brew. So please fire away! Cheers!

I would say no. A chocolate stout is like a novelty beer and the same goes for the oaked ones combing the two I would think is not a good idea. Now I know those beers arent novelties a lot of people make them but I couldn't think of another word to fit. Adjunctual? I don't know, please no "actually they are quite common" responses.

Oak lends a vanilla favor to beer and I always add vanilla to my chocolate beers so try it.

I oaked a russian imperial stout that definitely swayed toward the chocolatey sweet side of stouts, it is fantastic, although I wish I had used french instead of american oak, it is a bit strong (it was in the carboy for 2-3 months w/ oak) but I am sure it will fade with time.

Back