Interested in NHC, but wow........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
I'm sure I'm not alone asking these questions. I did scan over the BJCP website but wow, after reading all that, I feel intimidated. I'm just curious how one of the brews I have "perfected" via friend feedback over the years will stack up. Geesh, I had no idea there were so many different styles. After reading 10B, american amber ales, I'm not sure if what I'm brewing is even that. What if your ingredients aren't EXACTLY what's printed on there? It's not just "beer" anymore and I may be over my head.
Labels. When you register, do they give/create a label for you when you register or is this one you create yourself?
Notice you can't mail it USPS. Why? It's not flammable. It does not met the definition of bulk alcohol which would then qualify has a hazmat and require placarding.
In general, been only brewing for almost two years. Should I even be wasting my time on this? Just brew and be happy? I'm just really curious.

Competitions aren't for everyone. I haven't sent any of my own beers in yet, but I will be soon. If you're ready to get some solid feedback and you are open to criticism, then I say go ahead and submit!

The BJCP guidelines give you a range of characteristics that your beer should have based on its style. If you submit a beer in 10B that is missing something stated in the guidelines or has something that isn't in the guidelines you will most likely get docked some points for it.

Some folks are just fine brewing and never submitting, and there's nothing wrong with that.

As for USPS, it is illegal to ship alcohol via the USPS. FedEx/UPS/DHL all will not 'officially' ship beer, but as long as you pack it really well and tell them it's 'collectables' they do'nt know any different. Just don't use the government to send your beer.

When you register on line for the competition labels are created for you that you print out and attach to the bottle with a rubber band.

they are consumer commodities. Alcohol must be over 90 proof to qualify as a hazmat. But, if you don't tell............ I thought about entering two, but now.....
Are you up against "all" brewers. I mean, I do extracts. Will my stuff be judged the same and against all grainers?

Ol' Grog said:
they are consumer commodities. Alcohol must be over 90 proof to qualify as a hazmat. But, if you don't tell............ I thought about entering two, but now.....
Are you up against "all" brewers. I mean, I do extracts. Will my stuff be judged the same and against all grainers?

All entries for the category you enter are judged together. Extract, PM, AG - it doesn't matter. You submit beer to your region for first round judging. If you make it to the second round you will need to send more beer for finals judging at NHC.

One other quick question. Can I use a Sam Adams bottle to mail in if I, of course, take off the existing labels and glue? I just realized that they have Sam Adams written in the glass right below the neck. Will that knock off "style" points for being so cheap but at 14 dollar entry fee should be good enough.

I think that you cannot. They want the bottles to be free of any identifiable marks, so that could be one. Buy a 6 pack of your favorite micro or buy some from the LHBS, they are not that expensive.

The fee is only $9 if you join the AHA. There are other benefits too.

I've got plain Jane bottles that I use when I bottle at the house, it's just I'm trying to be cheap....Just how I roll.

Yeah, me and a buddy are submitting a belgian blonde to the World Expo of Beers in Frankenmuth, MI. Getting kinda nervous and excited over it; our local brewer's guild has a few bjcp judges and everyone seems to give it a big thumbs up.

Back