Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My MIL on a goose island Christmas brew she brought: "there's a bunch of stuff on the bottom - I think I have to shake it"

Noooooooooooooooo!

Thankfully all three daughters yelled, and caught her before the beersplosion. Also thankful that it wasn't my house.

Yeah, it's like a Snapple. :mug:

I was unpacking a mr coffee expresso maker from its box when the Chinese food delivery guy came, looked at the expresso maker and asked if I was going to start brewing my own beer lol

After a week on Untappd it told me I was drinking away my pay check. I laughed... until I saw my bank account...

Something from last night: someone asked about getting a starter kit for their wife for Christmas on Jalopnik (car blog). A couple of people began telling him to get a big pot and that he wouldn't be able to use his electric stove. It was as if everyone was telling him to dive right in. Personally I thought it was funny because I think beginners should make the minimum investment until they are sure they want to continue doing it.

gometz said:
Something from last night: someone asked about getting a starter kit for their wife for Christmas on Jalopnik (car blog). A couple of people began telling him to get a big pot and that he wouldn't be able to use his electric stove. It was as if everyone was telling him to dive right in. Personally I thought it was funny because I think beginners should make the minimum investment until they are sure they want to continue doing it.

This would be even funnier if he was actually asking about a car starter ;-)

Working at the LHBS this past weekend....

Gentleman: "Yeah I remember making a blackberry mead a few months back. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear."

Me: "Sounds good."

Sarcasm much?

Gentleman: "Yeah I remember making a blackberry mead a few months back. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear."

Sarcasm much?

"I remember drinking some water a few months back. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear."

Sarcasm much?

"I remember drinking some water a few months back. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear."

I remember this empty glass I had a few months back. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear."

ChshreCat said:
I remember this empty glass I had a few months back. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear."
"I remember this half empty bottle of everclear i had...it was really potent after i added half a bottle of everclear"

I did keep a bottle of jäger under my bed in college (in a mini fridge). If I ever woke up with a cough I took a swig or two and went back to sleep. Worked like a charm!

I used Rock and Rye Whiskey for that purpose. It is a whiskey with hard sugar candy (rock candy) in it. Good cough suppressant though

I remember drinking a sip of kool-aid out of a watermelon when I was 15. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear.

No, what's terrible is pouring about a dozen shots of vodka and mixing a couple of straight shots of everclear in without telling anyone. You can always tell who loses that game of roulette

DLR1987 said:
Working at the LHBS this past weekend.... Gentleman: "Yeah I remember making a blackberry mead a few months back. It was really potent, especially after I added half a bottle of everclear." Me: "Sounds good." Sarcasm much?

Forgot about a phone call that same day:

Guy: "Hey I had a concern with a Pilsner I'm brewing. It's been in the carboy for two weeks, and the airlock is only bubbling every couple of seconds."

Me: "What temperature are you fermenting at?"

Guy: "Well it's been around 65-70F the whole time. Also I'm using the Wyeast Northwest Ale Yeast."

Hmm.....alrighty! I did let him know to just take gravity readings for a few days and if it doesn't change it's good to go.

Guy: "Hey I had a concern with a Pilsner I'm brewing. It's been in the carboy for two weeks, and the airlock is only bubbling every couple of seconds."

Guy: "Well it's been around 65-70F the whole time. Also I'm using the Wyeast Northwest Ale Yeast."

Hmm.....alrighty! I did let him know to just take gravity readings for a few days and if it doesn't change it's good to go.

I invited a co-worker over to try one another's beers. He had a pilsner, but i knew he didn't have temperature control. Turns out he used US-05. Maybe I'm a stickler, but you can't call an ale a pilsner.

gometz said:
I invited a co-worker over to try one another's beers. He had a pilsner, but i knew he didn't have temperature control. Turns out he used US-05. Maybe I'm a stickler, but you can't call an ale a pilsner.

+1

Aaaaand waiting for a well actually :)

Thats not being a stickler, thats being correct!

I'm confused how the airlock is bubbling every few seconds after 2 weeks! :drunk:

Temperature swings, CO2 coming out of solution, yeast working on the last little bits of sugar, ... Could be a number of things, which is why everyone says not to trust the airlock, but to look for hydrometer stability before packaging.

masonsjax said:
temperature swings, co2 coming out of solution, yeast working on the last little bits of sugar, ... Could be a number of things, which is why everyone says not to trust the airlock, but to look for hydrometer stability before packaging.

+1

Lager-flavored ales (if there is such a thing) can be made with WLP060. Someone in this thread talked about a maibock they made with it. I tried it on a Marzen and a Maibock at about 66F and they aren't half bad. But they are indeed ales.

Lager-flavored ales (if there is such a thing) can be made with WLP060. Someone in this thread talked about a maibock they made with it. I tried it on a Marzen and a Maibock at about 66F and they aren't half bad. But they are indeed ales.

that was my maibock. entered it into club comp and no one, including BJCP judges, figured out it was an ale.

My Hopped & Confused ales have all used WL029 kolsh yeast. Gives good lager-like flavors between 64-69F with lager or pilsner hops & grains/extracts.
I even made a dark "hybrid lager",if you will,with a cooper's Heritage lager can & some grains per a recipe from ohcrap on here. Def was well liked,even by some BMC drinkers that tried it. So it's as much what you make it out of as the yeast you use to get lager-like qualities. When the weather cools down,I wanna make'em again,but with some German grains. I washed a few jars of the WL029 yeast for starters to use in'em as well.
It was kinda cool to see 3 of the four lawncare guys like my hybrid lagers after finishing the job at hand. The head guy though didn't care for them as much,asking if I had any of those bud lites with the lime in it left? Oh well...3 outta 4 ain't bad...:tank:

A few weeks ago I asked my wife to pick up some beer to be used with brats later that evening. I told her she could get just about anything from our grocery store's limited selection and it would work, just don't get anything too hoppy.
Thankfully she returned with a 6 pack of Kona "Fire-Rock" Pale ale. She apologized, saying she looked for and couldn't find any IPAs and hoped the Fire Rock wasn't too hoppy.
Brats were good though :mug:

Cheesy_Goodness said:
A few weeks ago I asked my wife to pick up some beer to be used with brats later that evening. I told her she could get just about anything from our grocery store's limited selection and it would work, just don't get anything too hoppy. Thankfully she returned with a 6 pack of Kona "Fire-Rock" Pale ale. She apologized, saying she looked for and couldn't find any IPAs and hoped the Fire Rock wasn't too hoppy. Brats were good though :mug:

A few weeks ago I asked my wife to pick up a case of Hibernation while she was in Denver, as I was having a hard time finding it up here in the mountains. I repeated the name two or three times so she wouldn't forget. She came back with a case of Isolation. Fortunately I like Isolation as well (they're both good winter seasonals), and I found my Hibernation a few days later, so everything turned out alright.

Haha, Well I do vividly recall me on my 21st Bday in Vegas drunkingly waving a Mickey's 40 oz around shouting aloud with my friends "this is how beer should taste like!" haha I look back at that and laugh >_<

Haha, Well I do vividly recall me on my 21st Bday in Vegas drunkingly waving a Mickey's 40 oz around shouting aloud with my friends "this is how beer should taste like!" haha I look back at that and laugh >_<

Holy crap, that brings back some unsettling memories from my youth. That was often the centerpiece of my low-dough weekend benders. Mickey's in the big-mouth barrels. Back in the day, Schmidt came in a brown glass version of that, as well. Yikes.

mickey%27smalt_large.png

Back in college, my friends and I would often stay up late in the school's computer lab playing MUDD's. We always had a Big Gulp of Mountain Dew by our side. One St. Patricks Day, we decided to celebrate by filling up our Big Gulp cups with Mickey's - the most Irish beer that 7-11 carried. The lab monitor just saw us sipping yellow fizzy liquid. Nothing strange about that...

My brother yesterday at lunch after I got a La Rossa tried a sip and ordered one for himself:

Whats a dark lager, Is that like a stout or porter? What is it that you make? This is really good.

I had no choice but to give him the basic short version between Ale and Lager fermentation. He was already lost over the fact not all lagers are light in color.

Ah well... at least you can taste a Mickey's - which is more than I can say for some of the stuff out there.

Guy at work tasted my oaked imperial stout, said its too strong for him. Fair enough, I know that style is not for everyone.
A few weeks later, he is explaining to me that if I make a better quality beer I do not need oak.... all the best beer and wine in the world don't use oak.
Asked him what he thought the barrels do, he said that is for only the poor quality beer and wine made today. In the "old days" all the wine and beer made had to sit in barrels and the quality was very bad.
I couldn't even come back with anything... my mind was slightly blown. A guy who claims to know so much about wine is outrageously ignorant about oak aging.

Guy at work tasted my oaked imperial stout, said its too strong for him. Fair enough, I know that style is not for everyone.
A few weeks later, he is explaining to me that if I make a better quality beer I do not need oak.... all the best beer and wine in the world don't use oak.
Asked him what he thought the barrels do, he said that is for only the poor quality beer and wine made today. In the "old days" all the wine and beer made had to sit in barrels and the quality was very bad.
I couldn't even come back with anything... my mind was slightly blown. A guy who claims to know so much about wine is outrageously ignorant about oak aging.

The next question is, so why is Opus One and Silver Oak so expensive if oak is for low quality wine? :mug:

Back