Ebiab with jamil'o'chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ODI3

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a successful system that uses an immersion chiller, non-removable electric element and a pump to make a whirlpool'd cone?

Ya, currently I dont use a pump and just strain the hot/cold break and crud out before going into fermenters.

But, I am thinking of getting a pump to whirlpool but just not sold on it yet.

It seems when people use electric kettles they dont use immersion chillers due to element being in the way of the chiller.

What do you mean by "suspend a bag over the kettle"? do you mean over the fermenter? or like a hopspider?

Ya, currently I dont use a pump and just strain the hot/cold break and crud out before going into fermenters.

But, I am thinking of getting a pump to whirlpool but just not sold on it yet.

It seems when people use electric kettles they dont use immersion chillers due to element being in the way of the chiller.

What do you mean by "suspend a bag over the kettle"? do you mean over the fermenter? or like a hopspider?

I suspend my hop bag over the kettle and squeeze it afterwards.

5/5/2013 by Mad Scientist Brewhaus, on Flickr

A buddy of mine had this made up for his e-BIAB to keep the bag off the elements. I am guessing you don't want the weight of an immersion coil resting on a element?

IMG_0617.jpg

My immersion cooler has a gap between 3rd and 4th ring. It allows me to put the cooler in sideways and slide it under the element. To take the cooler out, Its easier to remove the element first.

I really wanted to avoid putting in a plate to avoid temp stratification during the boil.

Another filtering option i am thinking about trying is to put a one foot wide ss mesh or perforated half cylinder infront of my outspout. Since it would have such a large surface area I dont think it would plug easily as long as i drained slowly.

Back