do you put open hops bags in the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have vacuum sealed hops bag, 100-gram bags that I keep in the fridge. I am wondering if I should put them in the freezer when I open them and use like half. I mean since there is no vacuum in the bag anymore to keep it fresh, then maybe I am better off freezing it. I normally open a bag, use half and maybe dont use the other half for 3-9 weeks.

Definitely, yes. Cold slows aging (at least with hops ;) ). Beyond that, resealing with an O2-barrier bag couldn't hurt, and beyond that, using a vacuum sealer and freezing will markedly prolong viability.

I went with that last option, mostly because I grow hops and need to vacuum seal and freeze a lot of product anyway...

Cheers!

Or, get a vacuum sealer and put them in mason jars and seal the jar. If that is not an option, I would roll the bag up and expel as much air as possible, then put rubber bands or tape around it. THen I would put it in a freezer ziplock bag and do the same again. Then put it in the freezer.

Vac. Packing is the way to go though if you routinely have large amts. of hops on hand. I generally buy about 15-20lbs in 1 pound bags in the fall/winter and as I open the bags I put the rest in quart mason jars, seal them and keep them in the freezer. Opening and resealing as I need them.

Back