Math savvy your help Please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan

I’m not wrong. I’m left handwriting
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for any assistance you give.

I'm building a simple stand for a drill press. I'd like the supporting base wider than the top of it.

Here is my dilema.

Top of the stand same height as my work bench = 40.5 inches

My idea:
40.5 inches tall
Top diameter 10" x 10" It could be bigger.
Legs - 6 degree cantor inwards to give the works surface stability.

That's just a basic idea. I want this thing to be stable and not take up to much floor space.

Thank you in advance for your help

Dan

The answer is: 18 1/2" wide at the floor.

You'd want any horizontal bracing located at least four inches above the floor for toe space...

Cheers!

Thank you for any assistance you give.

I'm building a simple stand for a drill press. I'd like the supporting base wider than the top of it.

Here is my dilema.

Top of the stand same height as my work bench = 40.5 inches

My idea:
40.5 inches tall
Top diameter 10" x 10" It could be bigger.

That's just a basic idea. I want this thing to be stable and not take up to much floor space.

Thank you in advance for your help

Dan

I'm not sure I understand - is the top circular with a diameter of 10", or is it square 10" x 10"? If circular with a top diameter of 10", my slide rule says the base should have a diameter of 18.52 ". On the other hand, if it is square and you want the legs to go out at a 6º angle diagonally, then the base diagonals should be 22.7" and the sides of the base should be 16.0" (all to slide rule accuracy). :)

fwiw, I assumed "diameter" meant a round top. And that his tape measure doesn't go down to hundreths of an inch.

I could be wrong. On both counts...

Cheers! ;)

I think you meant canted :) The way you described it almost makes it sound that you want the legs to be in the same space as the width of the top.

I mean the leg length is going to be the same no matter what... :) Sooo....

And if the top and base are square and you really want the sides, back, and front sloped out at 6º, then the sides of the base will be 18.52" and the base diagonal will be 26.2". The corners will be sloped at about 8.5º (actually 8.47º).

:)

Wow! Thanks for the help guys. The top will be square. Stamandster, I believe my terminology was incorrect. Canted is what I meant. Thanks for the correction. :eek:

Latest posts

Back