15 gal Poly Drum ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big-o-2

Reaction score
I have maybe a simple question, I am still new at this on my 5th brew in verious stages. I was wondering what do most people use for larger batches? I used to use these poly drums for storing chemicals and they can be rigged for a air lock pretty easily. I was thinking of getting a new one and use it for a primary, then rack into 2 - 5 gal carboys for the secondary? I am thinking this would be OK? I have seen the same drums with a removable top that would be the best I think, as you could install lines to drain off the clear beer to the secondary. Drain the yeast off for next batch?

Thoughts?

David

If it's a white food-grade plastic and the bottom is welded on (so there isn't a crack for crud to collect in), I'd say you're ok. I just split batches & use two 6 gallon pails.

The drum is poly pro any color, but made for foods, chemicals, etc., new not used. Well, my thoughts are to boil 6 gallons of water pour into drum. Then boil a double batch in 6 gallons then pour it into the drum, take readings then split it later. I do not have 2 pails and the cost is alot less to get the drum and modify it, that is just time. What should a pail cost? I am spending about $25 - $30 us for a 6 gallon pail with lock?

David

Sounds like that will work. Clean the drum well before using it. Do the first boil a day ahead, so the water can cool off. A high gravity boil can reduce bittering utilization, but isn't as big an issue as some people believe. You'll still want to cool the second boil before pouring it into the drum.

$30 US is reasonable for a 6 gallon pail & lock.

Wow. Where are you guys shopping that a six gallon pail with lock is costing $30? Go to Midwestsupplies.com. They have 6.5 gallon pails with lid for $9.95 and 7.9 gallon pails (my preffered pail) with lid for $12.50. An airlock is another $1. I just shop at the brick and mortar store, so I don't know what shipping would be, but it must still beat $30.

OK, I bought it and it was only $20 and some change. It is black but it is food grade plastic the guy told me it might hold chemicals, but they do not recommend it. He told me there is a guy that come around every so often and buys the 25 gal version that is white and it is a little shorter but much fatter around. It has a lever lock top and it is seamless, for easy cleaning. I am going to put a spigot at bottom and one about 1'' or 2'' above bottom so it should work like the conical fermentors, sludge stays on bottom. Beer goes into secondary clear as a whistle. I will post some pic's later after I get it rig'd up. I was messing with the strange brew software and the double batch is going to be 10 - 14 % alcohol before dilution that should be fun.

I am looking forward to cuting out like 5 hrs,
Out...

Back