New to brewing!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cass

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just joined this site looks like a great one. I'm a member of another forum but it doesn't seem to be too active. Anyways, I have just started into the wonderful world of brewing but have not had a good start so far. My first batch was earlier in the week, and I was unaware that on the primary fermenter you are to leave the lid on loosely if it has nowhere to stick the airlock. To make a long story short, I had quite the beer bomb go off which I found a day later. Thinking that the brew had been ruined from being exposed I dumped the whole batch. I later learned it probably could have been salvaged. So, after my devastating debut, I'm ready to jump back on the horse and get it right this time. That first brew was a stout beer kit from The Brew House, the wort was already made. I think this time I want to make it myself. I'm looking for a really good IPA or porter recipe that isn't too specialized, after all this is my first go at it. If anyone could help me out that would be wonderful. Oh, and I would want it for 5 gal, as that is all I have (my primary is 5gal, the carboy is 23L, so the same). Thanks a lot guys, hopefully I get it right this time.

Cass

If I were you I would spend a few dollars and invest in a 6.5 gallon food grade bucket and lid with grommet (or a 6.5 gallon carboy) and some airlocks. 5 gallon vessels are not really large enough to make the standard 5 gallon batch unless you use a blow-off.

Then I would try any of the kits from austinhomebrew.com, they are excellent quality and come with easy to follow instructions.

Welcome to the madness.

TheJadedDog said:
If I were you I would spend a few dollars and invest in a 6.5 gallon food grade bucket and lid with grommet (or a 6.5 gallon carboy) and some airlocks. 5 gallon vessels are not really large enough to make the standard 5 gallon batch unless you use a blow-off.

Then I would try any of the kits from austinhomebrew.com, they are excellent quality and come with easy to follow instructions.

Welcome to the madness.
It is larger than 5gal, probably 6.5 or 7, but that means I could only brew 5 gals in it to prevent overflow.

My local homebrew store has grommets that are just the right size for an airlock all you'd need do is drill a small hole in the lid. If you picked up an airlock on line I'm sure you could find the right size grommet at a hardware store or possibly online where you buy the airlock.

Or you could put a plactic tube in the hole and the other end of the tube into a jar of water that would serve as an airlock / blowoff tube.

Also check out www.howtobrew.com it's free and he has an excellent book with more detailed info.

good luck
cheers
:mug:

Hey Cass you wouldn't happen to be coming over from the Beer Brewing College Students on facebook would you? Sounds like you might be judging from your last write up! Welcome aboard.

cyfan964 said:
Hey Cass you wouldn't happen to be coming over from the Beer Brewing College Students on facebook would you? Sounds like you might be judging from your last write up! Welcome aboard.
You betcha bud, 'tis I! The big embarrassing muck-up give it away? LOL.

Back