Blonde Ale Bombshell Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-56
Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-B Light Hybrid Beer, Blonde Ale

Min OG: 1.038 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.50
Anticipated SRM: 3.0
Anticipated IBU: 23.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
83.3 7.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
5.6 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.6 0.50 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
5.6 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.30 17.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Saazer Whole 4.50 6.2 20 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Makes for a killer session beer for both craft and macro lovers.

Bomshell.jpg

Did you change the yeast used on this recipe? I thought it called for a california yeast wyeast 2112...that's what I made it with initially back in April. turned out fantastic by the way.

Do you like WLP001 California Ale better after testing? Maybe I just fudged it and confused White labs california yeast for Wyeast's california yeast????(DOH!)

What's mash schedule? Single infusion mash at 152...

originally I used the 2565 strain, but I switched over to the chico strain due to the fact that I really didnt want to do the 6-8 week cold conditioning that a kolsch needs. Now Its drinkable 5 weeks after brewing. I wanted a really light but flavorful ale that could be finished really quick.
Mash at 152

This recipe is next up for me this weekend. I plan on using WLP001. Anything else special about it? Fermentation temp? I'm going to primary 3 weeks, crash cool 4 days then bottle it.

Is 60 min. boil ok with the pilsner malt in the recipe?

at the top you say you use US-56, at the bottom WLP001 California Ale.

Curious if the US-05 or Nottingham would also produce good results? (seem to recall that US-05 and US-56 are the same yeast?)

This recipe is next up for me this weekend. I plan on using WLP001. Anything else special about it? Fermentation temp? I'm going to primary 3 weeks, crash cool 4 days then bottle it.

Is 60 min. boil ok with the pilsner malt in the recipe?

I normally mash at 152 then ferment WLP001 at 65. Not too dry but not sweet at the sametime.

About the pils. Well being that our humidity is very low out here I normally evaporate everything off in only 60 minutes. Your mileage may vary depending on where you live and your humidity levels.

how did this turn out can you give me a description please

I'm drinking a version of this right now. OK, I used nottingham yeast,and can't remember the hops off the top of my head. I'm enjoying it, but it is a summer beer and so not really season-appropriate. I think this is a great beer for all your "yellow beer" friends. It's really nice, and for me, my current version, it's kinda a really good american beer. HMMM...:drunk:

well im gonna do 2 kegs one with a dark winter beer and i wanted one that would be light if i wasnt feelin a dark beer

if i do 1 oz saaz that is 5.8% and 1 oz hallertau 3.8% would i be fine hops wise. I know i can add more or less of an oz but just trying to cheap it as easy and cheap as possible

I swear I have to brew this every 3 batches or so. This beer just doesn't last. Like mentioned before its just a good "yellow beer".

Ive used Nottingham before as well but I just dropped the temp to ferment cold @ 58 ambient. I've just always liked Nottingham better when fermented cold.

I was recently tasked with coming up with a clone recipe of this great beer from Southern Star Brewing. In my research, I found that the brewery's website reveals the ingredients: http://www.southernstarbrewery.com/SSBBeers.asp
My recipe is as follows:
--Grain bill--
73% Rahr Pilsner malt
19% Weyermann Vienna malt
4% Briess Carapils
4% Flaked rice

I haven't read anywhere that flaked rice is used in the real brew. Based on the flavor, it's probably all malt... this is an experiment, I guess.

Medium body mash: 152 degrees for 60 mins.

--Hops (for a 13 gal. boil)--
1.75oz Stirling (6%) 60 min
1oz Stirling (6%) 20 min
.25oz Stirling (6%) at flame-out

I couldn't get Saphir hops from my local brew shop or online, so I stuck with just Stirling.

Brewing next Thursday, I hope it's good! Sorry to the OP for not using his recipe ;)

Ha....

guess there's an actual Bombshell Blonde. I just made that name up a long time ago one night when we were drunk

I apologise, this isn't a clone of that beer. Its better damnit!

I brewed this 3 weeks ago. Wow did it come out great! I am going to have to keep this on tap through out the summer. Just finished cutting the grass and poured one! Really refreshing!
blonde_ale.bmp

Please excuse picture it does not do the beer any justice! Just getting the hang of this picture thing!

webtap_blonde.jpg

That's the beer I thought you were talking about.

I think they use 1098.

I brewed and used nottingham had great results. I was drinking it in 3 weeks!!! Just picked up the grain yesterday to do 10 gallons of it. That beer doesn't stand a chance around my house!:mug:

I've used Nottingham with this recipe quite a few times and have always loved the end results. Especially when fermented down at 62

Its really a simple recipe and changing yeast up from time to time mixes things up a bit. Try WYeast 2565 (kolsch) or Nottingham in the future. They both work really well

I just brewed my version of BBA last weekend but used following ingredients:

8.00 lbs. RAHR 2-row
0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
1.50 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt

Hops

1.00 oz. Hallertauer (Pellet) - 60 min.
1.00 oz. Saazer (Pellet) - 15 min.

Nottingham yeast

Its done fermenting in 4 days! From 1.049 to 1.011 @ 60 F, taste amazing already. Can't wait to keg it and tap it, this will be my house recipe

Hi Desert Sky.

Just tasting my first batch that I used kolsch yeast as you said to try. Really good and totally different from the first one I made with american ale yeast.

Has a slight fruit chardonnay wine like taste. I fermented at 64F.

Is that how you would describe yours when you use the kolsch??

To anyone who has brewed this... IYO would this b a good beer to add strawberries ( or some fruit) in the secondary? Thanks looking for something for the wife.

To anyone who has brewed this... IYO would this b a good beer to add strawberries ( or some fruit) in the secondary? Thanks looking for something for the wife.

I would use extract in the secondary and do 1/3 of the recommended amount. There isnt much to this beer so anything added to it will come through alot more than in a different style of beer. If you're kegging you can always add more later

Hi!
For those of you that have brewed this recipe, how do you think this beer would turned out if I lower a bit the pilsner and increase the wheat to 15% let's say...
I am a wine producer (not from kits but from scratch) that recently started to make all-grain beer...I am trying recipes and learning a lot through this process.
Would this add some mouthfeel? Would it feel like a lighter beer?
Any insights would be great
thanks a lot
s

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

06-B Light Hybrid Beer, Blonde Ale

Min OG: 1.038 Max OG: 1.054
Min IBU: 15 Max IBU: 28
Min Clr: 2 Max Clr: 5 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 5.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.00
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.50
Anticipated SRM: 3.0
Anticipated IBU: 23.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
83.3 7.50 lbs. Pilsener Germany 1.038 2
5.6 0.50 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
5.6 0.50 lbs. Vienna Malt Germany 1.037 3
5.6 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
1.00 oz. Hallertauer Whole 4.30 17.5 60 min.
1.00 oz. Saazer Whole 4.50 6.2 20 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Makes for a killer session beer for both craft and macro lovers.

Bomshell.jpg

What do you think the result would be if I increase the wheat to approx. 15% and lower the pils?

I will be brewing this tomorrow... Yeast starter is going as we speak. I am going to do 10 days primary and 14 days in secondary with 4 lbs of liquified strawberies.

I've seen a few people ask questions about adding fruit to this beer.

I've been making a Strawberry Blonde for a few years now and I think blonde ales work great for fruit beers, without a doubt the strawberry blonde is the hit of the summer even for my friends who generally HATE fruit beers.

I just came across this particular recipe and figure I might give this recipe a go with this springs batch. IU let you know how it turns out!!!

I'm going to brew this tonight, but skip the 1/2 pound of wheat and bump up the carapils and Vienna by a .25 pound each.

I'll be using Papazian's Cry Havoc hybrid yeast at ale temps on the cool side with some dry hopped saaz. Mashing at 150-149 for a bit of crispness. Going for a faux Urquell session beer that has a quick turn around.

I am out of Hallertauer hops and there is no LHBS within 90+ miles that stocks a wide selection of hops. I would like to substitute Tettnager for the Hallertauer since they are both noble hops about the same alpha%. However, I have not made this recipe before and thought it would be worth asking other brewer's opinion.

I've only done higher gravity beers up til now; I was looking for something lighter and this looked pretty good.

I brewed this a week ago with 2 changes: I added an extra half pound of base malt and the O.G. was consequently a little higher (plus I've been getting killer efficiency with my Crankenstein grain mill). I also used some washed Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes.

The O.G. came in at 1.052 and after one week it has dropped down to 1.012. Is there any danger of it dropping too low and "ruining" the beer? If so, what can be done to prevent that? What may have been the cause of the over attenuation (compared to the original recipe)?
(The fermenter is in a cool dark location at about 65-68 degrees)

Most of my previous brews have been in the 1.080's O.G. range and have gotten stuck around 1.018-1.020 range...

Also, there still seems to be a little activity going on in the fermenter (bubbles every 8 seconds or so).

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer.

I figured out the attenuation (sorry, I should have done this earlier...)for the current numbers, it's right at the high end of what 3522 is supposed to have: 76%. So I guess if it stops now, it'll be fine. Can it keep going, or will it only attenuate to a certain standard, as indicated by Wyeast?

I made a batch of this. Came out a little below target gravity 1.042 i believe. Also fermented a bit below your final gravity to about 1.008. That withstanding this beer came out exceptionally well. I originally brewed this for some fizzy yellow beer fans but now I'm reconsidering keeping it all for myself.

To me it is just slightly sweet with a slight citrus finish. Really nice summer beer.

Back