What's the best temp controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewski

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just purchased a chest freezer, CO2 tank, and regulator today to finish up my kegging system. I kegged my beer and have it in the freezer, and now I realize that I need a temp controller (I guess I didn't do thorough enough research). I looked around on some threads in these forums and it seems like RANCO is the place to go for temp controllers, but is there a particular model of temp controller that you guys use that has been proven to be reliable, accurate, and best bang-for-your-buck? An industry standard so to speak? Also, are there any models that are known to be sold at retail stores? I would rather go out and buy one instead of waiting for it to be shipped here.

Figured it would be best to ask for some insight before ordering one that is non-reputable.

Thanks for the help.

- McBrewski

I have a two stage like this one, Hell for the price of this single stage I could not pass up buying another plus free shipping.

Thanks for the replies.

I ordered the basic prewired ETC model from the RANCO site. I have had problems with ebay in the past, heh. I will simply be able to plug my freezer into it and then plug it into the wall and set the temperature, right?

Is there a way to strip the outer plastic off of the temp wire that goes into the freezer or did I just order the wrong width of cord? The temp controller wires I've seen on here are all much thinner than mine. The freezer still closes with the wire going into the freezer, but I can tell that the lid does not completely seal.

Do I have to order a new, thinner wire?

I dunno do you?
If you are prepared to order a new one you might as well try to strip the one you have now and if it goes wrong it's not a big deal. Could always install it through the collar if you have one. Or just leave it.

Back