Optimal size & spacing for copper manifold for mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamuraiSquirrel

Reaction score
I have gathered all the supplies that I need in order to build my ten gallon rectagular mash tun. I built a rectangular copper manifold to put in the bottom. The last thing I have left to do to complete this is to cut the slots in manifold.

Does anyone know what the best size to make the slots and how to space them?

I have a dremel tool and plan to use that to cut the slots. I just am not sure how wide the slots should be and how often they should be space.

I'm not sure how critical this is but I just thought i'd try and get some feedback from people who are using these and find out what they did and how it is working.

Thanks,

The little metal cutting attachments on the dremel works well. Just know you're going to go through about 4 or 5 of them.

While I'm sure there's some conventional wisdom that would tell you how far apart to space the slits, I just guessed and went with 3/8 of an inch spacing. Just eyeballed the whole thing. It works fine.

Pipe SPACING IS KEY, and it is RELATED TO the diameter of the copper tube. Dont guess at this... or you may be posting here in a couple weeks about your deplorable efficiency and have to listen to loads of speculation as to why.

If you want to have better knowlege of how to build the most efficient manifold, I HIGHLY suggest this article written by yours truley.

Lautering Equipment False Bottom vs Manifold | Brewer's Friend

EDIT: I see you have already built it... carry on.

Back