Homebrew Supply Store in NYC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
So far I haven't been able to find ANY homebrew supply stores in NYC. Where my family lives in the Lehigh Valley of PA there are several good ones, but I'm puzzled as to why there aren't any in NYC, especially with the growing interest in home brewing.

Do any of you think there might be a market for such a store in NYC...say in the E. Village or LES?

I doubt you could compete with online suppliers, concidering the cost of rent for a storefront in the east village, or lower east side.

Years ago, before the internet was so popular, we used to mail order from a couple of places in NYC. I think one of them was U.S. Brew Supply but a google of it didn't return anything. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the other one. If I run across one of my old catalogs, I'l repost. Also, did you contact any of the wine making places? I'm sure there has to be several. Luck - Dwain

This is a good point. We have a local liquor store that carries some homebrew supplies as a sideline. But their prices are high, and the grains just sit around in plastic bags, hops hang in mylar bags from pegboard, no sign of refrigeration....so why would I even think about shopping there, unless in an emergency? Just check out some of the major online suppliers- Midwest, Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew....it's a no-brainer.

there isn't any in NYC.

There's a hydroponics place in Queens with a bit of homebrew stuff.

There's Karps, out on Long Island. It's 2 blocks from the train station.

Or Corraddos in Clifton, NJ. The only 'real' homebrew store in the area. But you can't get there from public transport.

Other than that, UPS is my local HBS.

B

I thought there was one in SOHO?

Karps is really cheap. It might actually be worth the train ticket compared to shipping. But then you'd have to lug all that stuff back to the city...

Hey just decided we wanted to alert people. We have noticed a growing concern about the fact that there is no Homebrew Supply store in the city. But fear not. It is on the way. Me and my husband are working on it right now as we speak, and will hopefully be opening in the next few months. We will definitely be located in Brooklyn, most likely in Park Slope or the Gowanus. If you want to keep track of our progress just go to Brooklyn Homebrew. We haven't updated it in a few months, but plan on it this weekend. Thanks everyone.

This would be awesome, especially if you were open after work or on weekends. If I could go food shopping and beer supply shopping at the same time...

Yes we will need your help! Make sure every beer brewer you know will check us out. We will need as much business as possible.

Hi, just if anyone else is still waiting for word of a home brew store in Manhattan, I have found one. It is in the Whole Foods store at Bowery and E Houston St. I just went there and it has an unbelievable selection of beer, as well as home brew brewing supplies. Here is the site for location: Bowery | WholeFoodsMarket.com

Back