help me with hops in a lager recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyoldguy366

Reaction score
I have 10 lbs of Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt that I plan to do a decoction mash on.

Here's the hops I have on hand:
1 oz german hallertau a:4.3 b:6.2
1 oz german tradition a:6 b:5
1 oz US Tettnang a:6.1 b:3.7
1 oz US Saaz a:8.1 b:4.3

yeast:
dry saflager w-34/70 (pink package)

Anybody have any input on what might be tasty?
Crisp/refreshing are my only criteria. Trying to avoid grassiness and overdoing the hops.

Cheers and thanks!

Any of those hops are of course fine.

My preference for Euro lagers, is no more the 1/2 oz flavor addition, and 1/4 oz of aroma hops is you are looking for crisp and refreshing. Add as much bittering hops as needed to get your target IBUs - this could be anywhere from 20 to 40 IBUs. Low 20's makes for a very quaffable thirst quencher. Pushing 40 can be more complex and enjoyable, but I find I drink these slower.

Thanks for the reply. Which hops would you use for flavor/aroma?

I've never used any of these except for saaz and that was in a single hop extract pilsner ages ago, so my memory's fuzzy on the specifics... remember it being tasty and that's it.

Just saw your Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer titles in your signature. Grats!

According to my software using the AA listed on my hop packages:

Tradition .75 oz 60 minutes
Tettnang .5 oz 20 minutes
Saaz .25 oz 5 minutes

gives 25.3 IBU's

Does this sound like a winner to you or would you do it any differently?

Thanks again!

Back