New Photoshop is NUTS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
I figured some label geeks like myself would enjoy this.

This blog post has a video in it showing Photoshop's newest tools. They are seriously game-changing. I'm terrified of the price tag, but I think I'm about to upgrade from 7 for this one.

If only people only knew that equivalent (and often better) alternatives to most of the software they pay for is available for free and open source. It's amazing to me that so many still pay money for this stuff. And usually all it takes is a quick Google search.

I completely agree. I turn people on the OpenOffice all the time as well as Gimp. There are some great open source operating systems and software out there, you just have to have an open mind and be willing to try something new :)

I completely agree. I turn people on the OpenOffice all the time as well as Gimp. There are some great open source operating systems and software out there, you just have to have an open mind and be willing to try something new :)

I won't even go into the security issues with the current most popular operating system. Ahem. My research focus as a computer scientist is cyber security. If everyone knew just 1% of what I knew, there would be 92% less Windows users. :p

I won't even go into the security issues with the current most popular operating system. Ahem. My research focus as a computer scientist is cyber security. If everyone knew just 1% of what I knew, there would be 92% less Windows users. :p

Warning: :off: sorry! :p

I hear you. Windows code is so bloated, and theres so much of it, it would be almost impossible to conduct a complete audit, fix all the issues, and still have it function properly. God bless *BSD and Linux(Slackware in particular). I used to do a lot of programming in Assembly and C, working with the different versions of BSD and Linux auditing code and preparing operating systems for multi user environments. Dont get me wrong, theres still issues with Unix based operating systems, but they are far better built than Windows*.

After over a year of badgering my boss and the finance people at work, I finally got them to let me upgrade to CS4 Design Premium two months ago...

guntohead.gif

Anyone tried with GIMP? I've had mixed results. It seem to be really just adding a big blur blob over the part to be erased. Any tips?
It took me a while to figure out what was going on. I found this website that included a new script to go with the plugin (resynthesizer plug-in is the same - MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE NEW SCRIPT AND OVERWRITE!!). Now, all you need to do is select, choose Filter->Enhance->Heal Selection, and fiddle with the radius (smaller radius for small objects, larger for large objects). After I installed the updated script I started with this picture:

desert-road.jpg

Used 100 radius on the road, and 60 radius on the rock slide, and ended up with this picture:

desert-road3.jpg

I've been using gimp for many, many moons and that is the most amazing trick I've ever seen. Thanks, brother.

I'm aware, but it's always nice to have something that's natively compiled for linux that works so well :mug:

True, but for those that may believe that they are only for Linux, it's not true. Windows users can use them too. I have been meaning to check into teh new version of GIMP that is supposed to be much like photoshop. Not sure how that project is coming along.

As a photographer I can't stand Gimp, it does not compare to Photoshop regardless of what people say. Though I really wish it did.

And in that video... nothing he did couldn't have been done faster by being a better photographer. You don't shoot and fix it in post.

I figured some label geeks like myself would enjoy this.

This blog post has a video in it showing Photoshop's newest tools. They are seriously game-changing. I'm terrified of the price tag, but I think I'm about to upgrade from 7 for this one.

Cool! It looks like they are doing some kind of mirrored blending... Not sure why they didn't already have something like that...

As a photographer I can't stand Gimp, it does not compare to Photoshop regardless of what people say. Though I really wish it did.

And in that video... nothing he did couldn't have been done faster by being a better photographer. You don't shoot and fix it in post.

I kn ow photographers are strong, but ripping trees out of the ground? Really? You can do that? :D

Most of the issues with Windows are ID-10-T errors!

No, but I can pick a better angle/location.

There are other park benches in the world besides that first one and even after the editing it is not a photo I would sell to a client. They probably got it from someone who wants to be a photographer but never interned or worked as an assistant. It's a common thing in the industry, I have been hired for a few reshoots.

The second one is as simple as taking two photos instead of one. (The edit of the second one looks like crap BTW.)

The third is just adding more photos in to the panoramic.

If you can afford Photoshop legally then you are probably a professional in some sort of graphics oriented career. This is just common sense stuff.

:cross: Crazy cool!

I am going back into college for Digital Media Design and Photography after a 20 year hiatus. The technology sure has changed during that time. Wow...

Most of the issues with Windows are ID-10-T errors!

They say the weakest point in a computer is the device that's in between the monitor and the back of the chair.

But on a related note, the Microsoft Windows philosophy is to stuff everything in the kernel--the heart of the OS. That's a bad move and the source of many of its security vulnerabilities. But I'm off topic and will stop this right now.

As a person who knows how to perform optimization algorithms, I know that when you do cost/benefit analysis you weight by inverse cost. It's pretty hard to outperform a fraction that has a zero in the denominator.

As a person who knows how to perform optimization algorithms, I know that when you do cost/benefit analysis you weight by inverse cost. It's pretty hard to outperform a fraction that has a zero in the denominator.

:D Perfect! :D

Getting back to the original post, the new Photoshop is indeed pretty awesome (I have it). You can get it for literally a fraction of the normal retail price (either stand alone or as part of a suite) if you are or know someone who is a student at a university or college that has an agreement with Adobe (you buy it thru the school) - you can get the listing of schools from Adobe. If you have or know a kid in high school or below (all the way down to 1st grade) you can still get it for a lot less than normal retail - but not as good as the deal for college students. I got the Web Design Suite (something like8 different Adobe programs, including Photoshop) a couple months ago for $275 (normal retail is $1500). Check it out.

EDIT: I have CS4, not the new CS5 due to come out later this month.

Getting back to the original post, the new Photoshop is indeed pretty awesome (I have it). You can get it for literally a fraction of the normal retail price (either stand alone or as part of a suite) if you are or know someone who is a student at a university or college that has an agreement with Adobe (you buy it thru the school) - you can get the listing of schools from Adobe. If you have or know a kid in high school or below (all the way down to 1st grade) you can still get it for a lot less than normal retail - but not as good as the deal for college students. I got the Web Design Suite (something like8 different Adobe programs, including Photoshop) a couple months ago for $275 (normal retail is $1500). Check it out.

EDIT: I have CS4, not the new CS5 due to come out later this month.
haha "The new photoshop is sweet. I have it
*edit* but no, seriously, I don't have it.
:D

Back