Fermenter Idea - Fluid dynamicist needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
Say, I was thinking about converting a stainless steel kettle I have into a fermenter.
I am planning on welding a false bottom into the vessel in order to accumulate trub and lees at the dump valve. Does anyone know if this concept would work? I am concerned that the steep vertical side of the kettle would negatively impact the flow of sediment along the bottom once the valve is opened. Thanks for your help.

fermenter.gif

Not a fluid dynamicist, but I have designed a number of waste water treatment units, that work.

I agree that that vertical wall will be what channels the liquid, and the trub above the original outlet line will remain in place.

I would also be concerned that the oval shaped piece of stainless steel required would be a very tough weld. I think that you would be better to not dump, just use the keg as a carboy that can accept pressure, (assuming there is a good seal on the lid). There have been a number of great examples of this posted in the forums here.

KwaiLo said:
Not a fluid dynamicist, but I have designed a number of waste water treatment units, that work.

I agree that that vertical wall will be what channels the liquid, and the trub above the original outlet line will remain in place.

I would also be concerned that the oval shaped piece of stainless steel required would be a very tough weld. I think that you would be better to not dump, just use the keg as a carboy that can accept pressure, (assuming there is a good seal on the lid). There have been a number of great examples of this posted in the forums here.

Ok thanks. All makes sense.

I agree. not the best idea. by the time you get that piece in and welded, you could cut the bottom off the pot and weld a conical hopper onto it.

<----- water supply engineer

Back