fermenting problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vcr5150

Reaction score
I'm brewing a batch for the 1st time in over 6 years. everything was going great, the bubbler was bubbling continuously within 24 hrs. Then, after about 2.5 days from pitching - it quit bubbling. Surely it can't be done fermenting (after only 1.5 days)? One concern: the yeast may be a bit on the old side (but was stored in the fridge.)

Thanks in advance.

Are you using a dry yeast? I have noticed some of my dry yeasts take over night to ferment. no kidding. I pitch the yeast put fermenter in dark cool place (68 degree) and look at it in the morning and the airlock has a ton of bubbles stuck to the sides of it but no movement of the inner mechanisim in the airlock. when this has happened i assume that fermentation has happend but leave it in the fermenter for the rest of the 7 day wait. both beers have turned out great.

good luck

hey - thanks everyone. I think I had everything under control (temp, etc.,) So I guess it is possible that it happened that fast. I'll let everyone know how it turned out later.

I have a similar situation currently with a american wheat that I made from extract and 1010 yeast that I had saved from a previous kit. I took a gravity reading and it was at 1.020 which I would think is close? I made up the recipie so have no idea what the gravity should be at.

The strange thing is that with the last batch that I made from a kit which was a honey weizen it had a huge krausen head in the fementer and this one not so much. The last on actually came out the blowout tube and into the bucket but this time the fermentation has not been as active. I think I used less fementable in this batch though. Any ideas? Should I move to secondary?

I did a German Wheat on Sunday, and had fermentation going full Monday AM. Checked on it yesterday and it was slow (1 bubble every 5-7 seconds). This morning it was stopped. I was planning on letting it sit today and checking SG tomorrow. I too have everything covered. Good yeast (not dry), dark 70 degree spot for fermenting, and air lock working properly.

:tank:

The 1-2-3 rule...

1wk in Primary...
2wk in Secondary
3wk in Bottles...

Back