mash temp issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublehaul

Reaction score
Not having a good day so far. I usually nail my temps pretty good, but today, had 11.25 lbs grain, added 3.75 gallons 166F water, targeting 153/4. was high, so i added (too much) ice. stirred at 30 mins, and was 144 - 146. so added a couple pots boiling water, and got it back up to 153 at the one hour mark. my mash seemed really thin to begin with, and is REALLY thin now. anyways, how long should i let it sit now?

Check for starch conversion, and move on. Its different beer than you planned but Its still beer. What style are you brewing?

saison. what effects can i expect - higher gravity? i don't have iodine or anything, how else could I check for starch conversion?

Let some dry on your finger it should be real sticky. You might have a more fermenatble wort which wont be a bad thing in a sasion.

Depending on how high you were, if it was just a few degrees, instead of adding ice next time, just stir the mash. Stirring is going to release heat and you should be able to drop a few degrees with just a couple minutes if stirring. This way you don't have to worry about over-compensating or messing with your water to grain ratio.

Depending on how high you were, if it was just a few degrees, instead of adding ice next time, just stir the mash. Stirring is going to release heat and you should be able to drop a few degrees with just a couple minutes if stirring. This way you don't have to worry about over-compensating or messing with your water to grain ratio.

Ya i was 4 degrees high

doublehaul said:
Ya i was 4 degrees high

Stir stir stir

4 degrees is a little but off, but if you stir and get it down within a couple minutes, you will be just fine.

Back