Propane- what would blow me up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobbiLynn

Reaction score
Could someone tell me the dangers of using propane? What would blow me up if I do it wrong? The seal is loose on my tank and leaking propane, now it's almost empty. Will have to switch tanks. I have an extra full tank. Anything I should know first? I just switched to using propane outside 2 weeks ago, not used to it. It's my 5th all grain batch. Tried phoning a friend but no one is answering. Just don't want to blow myself up. :confused:

Exchange it at Walmart and get a new one. Don't use a leaky tank.

I'm in the middle of brewing!!! This sucks. Just finished my mash and sparge.

Sounds like your on the right track and you are already getting that tank switched out. Definitely don't use the leaking one. As long as your connection is tight and your regulator is good, propane is really pretty safe. And of course make sure you always have good ventilation if you happen to be in your garage or something. You don't want CO poisoning.

Check for the washer between the fitting and tank. Make sure the tank is what is leaking, not the fitting or valve. Make sure it's nice and snug.

Try that back up tank and finish before going to store. With proper ventilation a small leak is not going to explode, but you really don't want the leak to catch fire as it is leaving the tank. That could cause a problem.

BobbiLynn said:
I'm in the middle of brewing!!! This sucks. Just finished my mash and sparge.

Also since you are preboil you can put a lid on the wort and run to your nearest propane exchange... It won't hurt a thing since the boil will sanitize

Don't use the leaking tank and don't store it inside if it is leaking. Return it or exchange it. Use the spare tank you have. If you can handle operating a gas stove you can handle brewing with propane, you just have to be mindful of the potential hazards like anything else.

Reminds me of an issue I had using my burner for the first time this past weekend. The flame kept getting sucked back into the venturi and then it would start burning at the connection between the gas line and venturi. Scared the crap out of me when it happened. I'm assuming it was due to the windy conditions. Is this dangerous, can the flame travel back up to the tank when this happens? Is there something I can do to correct this when it happens or do I need to shut off the gas and relight like I was doing?

Just going to put things on hold and switch tanks. Gotta run to the shop and get an adjustable wrench. Argh, was trying for a double brew day, back-to-back batches. Have never changed out a tank before, hubby hooked this one up for me so wish me luck. Thanks so much.

Hubby's best friend is coming over to switch the tank for me and check all the fittings. I hate to be a helpless female, don't realize how much hubby does for me until he's not here. In the hospital right now(he will be fine, just simple surgery). I'll watch and learn.

Hubby's best friend is coming over to switch the tank for me and check all the fittings. I hate to be a helpless female, don't realize how much hubby does for me until he's not here. In the hospital right now(he will be fine, just simple surgery). I'll watch and learn.

Good luck with the brew and I hope it's a quick recovery for him. Assuming he is a beer guy also, he will have something to look forward to in a few weeks!

Your not helpless, you just dont know what to do and better to be safe than sorry when dealing with explosive gases. just watch what your husband friend does so you can do it yourself next time. Im sure your husband would feel the same way if you were out of the picture for a few days.

BobbiLynn said:

Isn't it just unscrewing the fitting with your hand? I have the old style wrench fitting on my pop up camper but almost all stuff now is the BBQ grill fitting ...
Also if it's a wrench type fitting its a left hand thread "righty loosey lefty tighty" and brass is softer than steel so it's easy to strip and destroy the fitting (I speak from experience )

Propane isn't dangerous if you are careful but it still is a hydrocarbon that demands respect

If a leak in a propane tank catches fire, the tank can blevin. That means it explodes propelling super heated liquid propane. It can be incredibly dangerous. Get rid of it.

Your not helpless, you just dont know what to do and better to be safe than sorry when dealing with explosive gases. just watch what your husband friend does so you can do it yourself next time. Im sure your husband would feel the same way if you were out of the picture for a few days.

Thanks. Friend said just wait for him to get here. Yeah, without me hubby wouldn't be able to find anything. Where's this? Where's that? Couldn't even find his way around the kitchen. Just poured a beer while waiting. The hissing sound coming from the tank just freaked me out. It's outside in the open. Must relax, all will be fine. :eek:

Sounds to me like you would be better off just not using propane. It is a lot more dangerous than natural gas. It is heavier than air and settles on the ground. This is how you blow hell out of yourself. Mike

Sounds to me like you would be better off just not using propane. It is a lot more dangerous than natural gas. It is heavier than air and settles on the ground. This is how you blow hell out of yourself. Mike

That's what scared me. Probably would be better off not using propane but not going to let it discourage me. I just need to learn how to use it safely. I am a quick learner. Hubby's friend will help me and I'm sure take his time telling me about safety measures. I can do this. :rockin:

Kind of a funny story but not 100% related to your topic... I read an article not to long ago that was saying that people who store their propane tanks in barns or closets or outside could be at risk for possible harm.

Apparently there's been a few cases where the mice colonize the storage shelter and actually chew the fittings around the propane tank and when you go to turn it on, it lights up and sometimes blows up. Apparently a few people have been torched this way.

Just sayin' check for leaks :D

I've used propane for fuel in homes, and in campers, gas grills, and in turkey fryers. It's no more dangerous than turning on your stove.

Just don't use it in an enclosed area (co poisoning is likely!).

Mine go on by hand. You don't need tools to change them out. Just turn off, unhook, put on the new one, open the valve. That's it.

I'd be surprised if a tank sold in the last 20years didn't have all the safty features that prevent it from exploding, etc. Heck they are supposed to have a shutoff design that will close the valve if they detect the gas is being used to fast - and on it goes. there was a good Mythbusters episided where they tried to get a tank to explode in a fire. They had to pretty much disassemble the valve on it.

With that said, if you can smell the propane, then your tank is leaking and it should discarded (if it is a blue rhino, I think they are swaped then checked and fixed/discarded)...

Maybe I don't need tools to change mine either, just no idea what I'm doing. When it was hissing from the top of the tank, I could smell propane coming from it. Still waiting for friend to get here. *sigh*

Well if you can smell it, then it is there, and I'd stop cooking near it (ignition concern). I'd tighten the valve down and swap. I know it is fustrating, but it is the right move. Hope your friend with tools gets there soon, and takes notes so you can swap next time.

All of the small tanks have a pressure relief valve built in so the tank will not explode or BLEVE. When it gets enough pressure, well below that which would cause a rupture, the valve opens and releases propane. This release causes the tank to cool and the pressure goes down. The valve closes again and is there waiting in case the pressure goes too high. I've seen a 100 lb tank sitting next to a burning building. When the valve opens and there is flame available to ignite the gas released it makes a pretty blue flame about 30 feet long from the side of the tank. Don't be standing near it.

Propane used outdoors (as it always should be) is not particularly dangerous. Natural air movement will keep the propane from forming a large pool and will quickly dissipate it. If the leak did catch fire it would only burn, not explode. All you need to do is put on some leather gloves and reach in to close the tank valve. No problem.

Check the oring on the end of the hose. I have an old fish cooker that I used for 10 years with no problems. Moved here to Denver and I have to replace the oring ever 3 months now. First time I found the issue I smelled gas while starting my boil. The flame was between me and the tank :( lucked out on that one. I done think New cookers are set up the same but old ones that require tools to change will have an oring on the end of the hose

Friend showed up a while back, switched tanks, just adjustable wrench like I thought. He said the o ring? that attaches the tubing was leaking slightly but not to worry about it. Back in business... need to finish this batch so I can start the other one. Happy brew day dance! :ban::ban:

Check the oring on the end of the hose. I have an old fish cooker that I used for 10 years with no problems. Moved here to Denver and I have to replace the oring ever 3 months now. First time I found the issue I smelled gas while starting my boil. The flame was between me and the tank :( lucked out on that one. I done think New cookers are set up the same but old ones that require tools to change will have an oring on the end of the hose

I'll figure out how to change that later.... busy now...

I like to check for leaks by wavering a match near the line fittings.

I kid. I kid DNTTAH

The flame kept getting sucked back into the venturi and then it would start burning at the connection between the gas line and venturi. ... can the flame travel back up to the tank when this happens? Is there something I can do to correct this when it happens or do I need to shut off the gas and relight like I was doing?

This is called "burning in the throat" and it is not exceptionally dangerous. It isn't good for the burner but it is not going to cause anything to explode.

The flame can not burn any further back than the orifice because there is no oxygen in the hose or the tank.

I just need to invest in the proper set up going from my tanks to my burners. I've got old rigged up crap that leaks. Requires special tools to fix. Can't do this by hand.

I am willing to just go buy the proper equipment. Today's hassle was plenty enough to talk me into it.

What should I buy? Just need proper hook up from tanks to burners. I have 2 burners.

BobbiLynn said:
I just need to invest in the proper set up going from my tanks to my burners. I've got old rigged up crap that leaks. Requires special tools to fix. Can't do this by hand.

I am willing to just go buy the proper equipment. Today's hassle was plenty enough to talk me into it.

What should I buy? Just need proper hook up from tanks to burners. I have 2 burners.

What kind of set up are you using?single tier ? Separate burners? Multi tier?

I just bought a bayou classic SQ14 on amazon for $44 including shipping which is an amazing deal. It's far more efficient than my last, cheaper bayou burner.

I can't even offer a slightest suggestion on what to replace until we know your setup, hookups, tubing and valves.

Here are pictures of my rusty old stuff. Hubby's friend said he will come over and replace my O-rings. Both are leaking. Said I don't have to go out an buy anything. But here they are anyway.

burner.jpg

burner2.jpg

BobbiLynn said:
Here are pictures of my rusty old stuff. Hubby's friend said he will come over and replace my O-rings. Both are leaking. Said I don't have to go out an buy anything. But here they are anyway.

I'd probably be replacing both of those with modern stuff. Those valves and regulators and hoses give me the willies. That's just me though. The bayou sq14 is at an all time low on amazon for $44 and its an impressive burner for the money.

I'd probably be replacing both of those with modern stuff. Those valves and regulators and hoses give me the willies. That's just me though. The bayou sq14 is at an all time low on amazon for $44 and its an impressive burner for the money.

Replace the hose and that burner will still be working years after your new one is worn out

Propane is not dangerous if used properly. Leaky hoses and o rings are just asking for it. The danger is not the tank exploding it is dense mass of heavy gas collecting which will explode if any source if fire contacts it. There is much more danger in using propane vs natural gas. Most states require a special license for propane fitters that a gas fitter license does not cover. Mike

Here is a tip if you ate going to continue to use that set up:

Mix a solution of dish soap and water, it should be fairly thick, 3 parts water to one part detergent or so.

Pour this solution on the tank, the hose, and all connections when you are running, especially after changing the tank or pulling that breast out of storage. It will bubble anywhere you have a leak.

I'd be concerned about that hose developing a leak as well, chances are the rubber is getting old and dried out.

You may want to get a new regulator and hose assembly. They run about 20 dollars at the hardware store. The nice part about going this route is you gain a qcc connector for the tank, provided you have a tank with an odp connection. I'm fairly certain it is illegal to fill non-odp tanks though, so you should have one.

If the burner itself works fine, I would just replace the hose and regulator, if only to get rid of that old pol connection.

If you do get a new regulator you want to look for a high output one such as http://www.lowes.com/pd_83441-1337-...&currentURL=?Ntt=propane+regulator&facetInfo=

If that cooker is anything like mine, and the ones that family have had for years (and it does look lke it), a regular BBQ type regulator will keep it from working at full throttle. A new burner might be more efficiant saving you propane, but even the high dollar burners these days will have a problem getting as hot as that one.

The tank on the other hand, probalby should be replaced. Not sure how you have that laying around unless yall never use propane or just fill it off a big tank yourself. Those haven't been allowed for years. Best way to do it is take it to an exchange place. They may not take it if they are paying attention, but if you get some high school kid you can trade it out and get a newer tank that you can have filled, or trade up to you.

Edit: I'm talking about the second burner, the first one just looks like an older turkey burner setup with the safety ring for holding the pot, it will work, but nothing super special about it. The second one is worth keeping.

Not sure how you have that laying around unless yall never use propane or just fill it off a big tank yourself.

Edit: I'm talking about the second burner, the first one just looks like an older turkey burner setup with the safety ring for holding the pot, it will work, but nothing super special about it. The second one is worth keeping.

Filled from a big tank ourselves. The second rusty burner works great. Throws off so much heat you can boil 40 quarts in minutes. I can try to clean up the tanks and make them acceptable for a trade out.

Back