Jiggawatt ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caioz1jp

Reaction score
So here is my insanity. I want to make a brew with the OG approx 1.210. Like in back to the future the delorian needs 1.21jiggawatts (yes i know its actually gigawatts) to power the flux capacitor. I would think we are looking at a barleywine most likley but it would be awesome to make something lemony. If any one has a suggestion please post here. At work right now so i cant really attempt to build a recipe.

You're going to have a pretty tough time mashing that much grain- 40lbs at least. That's 10 gallons of strike water at 1 qt/lb, which is too thick to even really get decent efficiency. Your best bet would be to mash as much grain as you can comfortably and sparge it very well, and then boil down to your desired OG- you'll likely only end up with a few gallons of wort in the end, and an extremely high FG. Doesn't sound particularly tasty to me. At that gravity you're actually bumping up against the alcohol tolerance of WLP099, but you won't ferment down that far anyway due to all the unfermentables you'll have. Plus WLP099 is not a very tasty yeast.

That's 10 gallons of strike water at 1 qt/lb, which is too thick to even really get decent efficiency.

I regularly mash at 1 qt per lb with 75% to 80% efficiency. At 77% with 21 lbs of 2-row its 5.25 gallons and about 1.210 O.G.

Maybe a double IPA with 121 IBUs and an OG OF 1.21.. you can use lemon zest in the secondary as well as some C hops for added citrusyness hah. I personally love citra for that kinda flavor.

I regularly mash at 1 qt per lb with 75% to 80% efficiency. At 77% with 21 lbs of 2-row its 5.25 gallons and about 1.210 O.G.

What is the biggest beer you have done? Many people--myself included--tend to obtain far lower efficiency with high gravity brews. Considering the fact that your beer would be ultra high gravity, I can only speculate that your efficiency loss might scale negatively.

I did a stout last week that was 1.088, 1 qt/lb and 4.5 gallons into the fermenter. Beersmith says 78% efficiency. That's the biggest beer I've ever tried with that thick of a mash. I double batch sparged, and ground the living crap out of my grains with a pound of rice hulls in the mash.

Recheck your math.
I believe you're looking at about 1.114 with 21lbs @77% for 5.25 gal.

For 1.210 you'd need 38.7lbs of 2-row @77%.

...and as has been mentioned you're not going to get 77% for gravity that high (unless you sparge half the day and boil for the other half).

For me it's somewhere between 1.090 and 1.100 that my efficiency starts taking a noticeable hit. At 1.100 I'm probably around 4-5 points lower than my normal efficiency and it gets worse the higher I go. I could continue sparging to rinse out all of the sugar that's being left behind but then I'd be looking at a 3-4 hour boil to get down to volume. No thanks.

Yeah, you aren't going to get anything close 1.200 brewing all grain. I regularly get 80%+ efficiency with normal 1.050 beers but it drops off a cliff around 1.070. Regardless of the amount of grain, the most I seem to be able to pull out of it is around 1.080...which is decent because I can easily boil down to 1.100 during a 90minute boil.

If you really want to brew something that huge you could try topping up with extract but who knows if you can even dissolve enough to get up in the 1.200+ range. And yeast...maybe with a champagne or distilling yeast you might be able to ferment that big a wort. ...or you could try to brew something in the 1.015 range and shoot for 1.21%ABV :)

Ok so im going for 121 ibu. Im deffinitly sticking with the sorachi ace and maybe server with a lemon wedge. Ill post a formula when i get home

Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.5 %
Bitterness: 121.4 IBUs
Est Color: 6.0 SRM

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.3 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.0 %
4.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.7 %
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [10.50 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 34.6 IBUs
1.13 oz Sorachi Ace [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 35.5 IBUs
1.10 oz Sorachi Ace [10.50 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 6 30.4 IBUs
1.10 oz Sorachi Ace [10.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 20.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04)

My two choices Im debating on is S-04 or S-05 and whether to dry hop with Sorachi Ace or maybe just some lemon zest in the secondary.

Sounds delicious! I'm not familiar with the sorachi ace strain.. what's the origin and characteristics?

Back