Now this is what deer hunting is all about!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
I'm not talking about the deer itself- hell, I wouldn't have shot it at all if I had seen the tiny little horn.

I'm talking about the big smile on my son's face. This year was the first that he was able to go hunting with me (he's nine). He was a trooper- he stuck it out all day on Saturday with his feet sopping wet and half frozen. Then on Sunday we were walking out and ready to hang it up for the day and this deer jumped out in front of us on a suicide mission. He was hooked! He wants that tiny little horn for his room, and he can't wait to go again!

Andy Deer.jpg

Andy Deer 2.jpg

Life is good.

Bernie - Tell your Son welcome to the Hunt.

My old man wouldn't take us out until we were old enough to take Hunter Safety. I first went at 12, shot my first deer at 15 and this was the first year I was goose egged. I am going out Friday but we'll see what happens then.

Wow- that is awesome!!!!! Tell him congrats from me and our family. My husband was impressed with the picture. Tell him that Bob is a wildlife biologist and thinks "that particular deer will make good venison and it looks like it's a 1 1/2 year old deer from the picture. Can't really tell without seeing the teeth to age it. And the body size looks better than average." Brent didn't even see any deer at our place in Phelps on Sat. or Sunday, so he's way ahead of him.

The best news is that now he's hooked and eager to go again. And he'll have a horn to remind him of his past success. Thanks for sharing the picture!

I have a question that comes into my mind everytime i see a hunter in the woods. Those things must be a couple hundred pounds how the hell do you get them out of the woods?

tbulger said:
I have a question that comes into my mind everytime i see a hunter in the woods. Those things must be a couple hundred pounds how the hell do you get them out of the woods?

A 200lb dressed-out deer would be HUGE. This one wasn't near that big, maybe 120-140, just guessing. You take a rope or strap along into the woods with you and drag him out. Or, in this case, you walk back to the farmhouse, borrow the landowner's skidsteer, and drive him out in the bucket. :mug:

Gotta love those father and son moments. The lad is STILL beaming. Good job Dad.

I can't help but ask, though. Why is his deer hanging upside down?

I think you guys might be misunderstanding. He didn't shoot the deer, I did. In WI you can't do the shooting until the age of 12. But this year I told him he was old enough to go along, and he had lots of fun. Now he keeps talking about when he gets to carry a gun himself. But he's not real swift on the idea of gutting it out though.........:)

Bernie Brewer said:
I think you guys might be misunderstanding. He didn't shoot the deer, I did. In WI you can't do the shooting until the age of 12. But this year I told him he was old enough to go along, and he had lots of fun. Now he keeps talking about when he gets to carry a gun himself. But he's not real swift on the idea of gutting it out though.........:)

I knew that. But still, it's "his" deer. And it should be. He was a real trooper and his reward is "his" deer. Who fires the gun doesn't matter.

In fact, every time I shoot a deer, Bob tells people "WE got this deer, blah blah blah". If he shoots one, it's not quite the same story.

Well my deer arrived on the back of a quad from a friend who wanted a beer and some company more than the little doe he'd just shot. Same thing happened last year. I don't tell the hunting stories, but I still tell the story about how I got 'my' deer.

homebrewer_99 said:
What I'd like to know is how'd you get the deer to commit suicide in your garage???:drunk:

I bet the hard part was getting it to kick the stool out from under it. :cross:

Back