ABV higher than yeast should handle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meich75

Reaction score
I recently made about 2 1/2 gallons of pear wine from fresh pressed pears with Lavlin D47 wine yeast. I overshot the sugar (3 lbs) and ended up with an OG reading of 1.190. I figured it would just end up sweet when the yeast topped out around 14 - 15% ABV. 3 weeks later the FG was 1.002 for an ABV of about 22.5.

Anyone ever have this happen? The worst part is it tastes great but I'm not sure if I can duplicate it.

In 2.5 gallons of liquid and the liquid all pear juice plus 3 lb of sugar should give you a gravity of about 1.114 if my math is right. I think you had suspended solids throwing you OG off.

Most hydrometers don't even go to 1.190. I wonder if it could have been 1.090.

I'm sure pear juices vary in gravity a bit, but I'd guess a gravity in the mid 40's (1.045?). 3 lbs sugar in 2.5 gallons should raise gravity by about 54 points, so I'd guess an OG of 1.095-1.100.

Yep, looked at my hydrometer and that was it. Guess I shouldn't try and read small numbers at 7am after working night shift, or at least double check before I put my stupidity on the internet.

Back