Need to use up Hallertauer hops - add them to american light ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodsuds

Reaction score
I've got about 1.5oz of Hallertauer Hersbrucker leaf hops (I think they're like 4% alpha) left over from a previous batch. I put them in a sealed bag and thought I'd thrown them into the freezer, but I found them in the fridge. They've been in there for 4 months. I'm assuming they're still good to use, they're only slightly brown and I think they were like that when I bought them.

So I was thinking of ways to use them up. I've got an issue with chloramine at our new house and my beers have been affected, so I was advised to make a really simple beer for my next batch and add 1/4 of a Campden tab to my water before the boil. I bought the "American Light Ale" 20 minute boil kit from Midwest. It has 1oz of Cascade pellet hops and a pre-hopped can of Muntons LME. I know Hallertauer varieties are used in light American ales, but I didn't know what would be appropriate since this style of beer is decidedly NOT hoppy, and very light, and already has the pre-hopped LME and Cascade hops (which the instructions say to add at 3 minutes left in boil).

Since the beer isn't very malty either, would I be better off dry hopping with some or all of the 1.5oz of leaf hops, or maybe adding some to the boil and dry hopping with the rest? Suggestions on how much?

Thanks!

Sometimes it is better to be wasteful. If it were me, I'd toss the brown hops and chalk it up to a loss, and continue the brew as you intended to.

They're actually not that brown, only a few of them have a slight brown color. They smell good and they look about like they did when I bought them. Maybe I'll just keep them sealed and in the freezer for a future batch, if they'll keep much longer...

hops.jpg

Back