Brewery Control Cart w/ Diverter Panel Concept

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotskicker

Reaction score
I currently am still working on my single tier brew rig, which I have yet to post any pictures and in matter of fact this may be one of my few posts, as I generally borrow other ideas from HBT and run with them in my DIY projects (Only time for building and brewing). But, anyways I have this idea for a brewery control cart and wanted some thoughts. I want my control panel cart to be separate from the brew system and to contain within some of my brew items such as the two brewing pumps, RIMS tube, water filter, and wort plate chiller and being plumbed through an attached diverter panel. On top of the cart would be a mounted control panel with the electricals from the pumps/RIMS being wired up through the top of the cart and into the panel. This would also have a small space for brew notes and a place to sit a pint. The plumbing would be contained within the bottom portion of the cart and one side would have a diverter panel. The system is plumbed with silicone & hi-temp hose with camlocks.

Components:

Water filter: On the side of the Cart would have a hose inlet connecting to the inside plumbing, passing through the filter then to the diverter plate with a valve to control flow.

Pumps: Hard wired into control panel, plumbed to diverter panel with Wort In & Outlets and a ball valve attached to the Out side to control flow. Also, autovents on the pumps for flow control.

Wort chiller: Plumbed through diverter with temp. montior on in and out flows.

I would also thinking a hook to hang my mash paddle on the side and also a small drawer to hold brew tools (hydrometer and testing tube, Misc. Fitting, Hoses.

Oh, also I almost forgot it should have a mounted bottle opener.

So enough rambling, any ideas on improvements, thoughts? I know a lot of people put diverter panels directly on their rigs but kinda like this due to also working on a small batch brewery as well in case I don't want to make 13 gal. I will try to post a sketch soon.

For those interested: the plumbing is about finished. Most breweries use diverter patch panels to send liquid from one place to another. I hate patch panels - connecting and disconnecting bits of pipe all the time is a hassle, and you can't CIP everything. This system uses only ball valves - you can send anything to any other place in the brewhouse by simply turning a few valves.

430168_10150735559881605_726126604_12012040_883009231_n.jpg

nbolmer said:
For those interested: the plumbing is about finished. Most breweries use diverter patch panels to send liquid from one place to another. I hate patch panels - connecting and disconnecting bits of pipe all the time is a hassle, and you can't CIP everything. This system uses only ball valves - you can send anything to any other place in the brewhouse by simply turning a few valves.

Patch panels are ok if you do them with sanitary fittings. We used to use them all the time at the dairy plant I work at (although we call them "flowverters"). They're CIPable that way. We got tired of making all those manual connections though, so now everything's done with Waukesha W75 PMO mix proof valve clusters. $$$, but it means switching from production to CIP is a push of a button.

Patch panels are ok if you do them with sanitary fittings. We used to use them all the time at the dairy plant I work at (although we call them "flowverters"). They're CIPable that way. We got tired of making all those manual connections though, so now everything's done with Waukesha W75 PMO mix proof valve clusters. $$$, but it means switching from production to CIP is a push of a button.

Absolutely! My buddy who brews at Lagunitas has major biceps from wrenching those connections. There is something particularly badass about wielding a 3 foot wrench though ;)

Valves / Valve clusters are the way to go.

Absolutely! My buddy who brews at Lagunitas has major biceps from wrenching those connections. There is something particularly badass about wielding a 3 foot wrench though ;)

Valves / Valve clusters are the way to go.

Well, you don't really need a wrench if you're doing it all with tri-clamps. Back before we put in mix-proof valve assemblies at work, everyone just had these little T-wrenches our shop made up from some oval-shaped tubing stock that fit neatly over a TC nut. For some folks who had a lot of connections, they made up a version that could go on a pneumatic driver.

No more though...and we've eliminated a lot of ergonomic issues.

Back