Champagne bottles and caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbotrice

Reaction score
I want to bottle some of my next brew in Champagne bottles, what size caps and can a simple two handled capper do the job. Thanks, MP Wall

ps, tried a regular cap and it was too small for the bottle I was using as was the housing for the cap. mpw

Always used a two handle capper and regular caps without a problem.

I've said this before, but if you want a way to get FREE champagne bottles go to several hotels NOW and ask if they are having/sponsoring any Christmas or New Years parties and you would like to pick up ALL of their champagne bottles. :D

You need to buy larger 29mm caps for champagne bottles. Not sure if they are readily available in the states. I couldn't find any here in the UK until I posted here about them and someone linked to a UK mail order supplier.

A two handled capper may work - mine has interchangeable dies inside which are used to grip onto the neck of the bottle. I need to swap to the larger ones to get a clean cap on champagne bottles.

The 29mm caps are also good for the big 75cl Hoegaarden bottles

HTH

A

It's only the European Champaign bottles and Belgan beer bottles that use the 29mm cap. US Champaign bottles use the normal sized beer bottle caps.

Back