Suggestions for a good first BIAB attempt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanoffermentation

Reaction score
I am getting ready for my first BIAB batch, and was wondering if anyone had any favorites that had worked out well for them? I have experience with partial mash brewing, but this will be my first all grain effort. I of course know there are tons of all grain recipes here and elsewhere, but I have read that some formulations work better than others in a BIAB setup. Thanks all!

Well you could start by checking whats in the grainbill of some of your favorite beers,websites sometimes list them.We dont really know what you like either. Its just an idea for using something you like in a beer that you are familiar with drinking.

My first BIAB was a pale ale from "Brewing Classic Styles." Not the caramel one, the one that's predominantly 2-row and Munich. Turned out well for a first attempt. I just drank the last bottle tonight, in fact.

This weekend I'll be brewing my 5th BIAB, a 1.090 winter warmer (also from BCS).

I of course know there are tons of all grain recipes here and elsewhere, but I have read that some formulations work better than others in a BIAB setup.

nothing really works any better or worse in a biab setup. i guess wheat/rye heavy beers are a lil easier in biab since you don't have to worry about lautering issues or rice hulls, and bigger beers are a bit of a PITA since you need to lift that heavy bag after, but thats about it.

You can use any AG recipe for BIAB but due to the lower efficiency you'll probably want to pad the base malt a bit and you'll also want to run your grains through the mill twice. Here's a recipe I had good luck with when I was doing BIAB brews, it tastes alot like dead guy ale...

Death Metal Ale – BIAB

OG 1068 (17p)
FG 1012 (3p)
6.8% abv
49.4 IBUs
7.5 SRM

Recipe Type: AG-BIAB
Yeast: 1st Choice – Wyeast Pacman (1764) 2nd Choice – Wyeast Denny’s Fav
Yeast Starter: yes or re-pitch
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Mash Time (Minutes): 90 - BIAB
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 27 at 65-75 degrees

11lb marris otter malt or pale 2-row
3-4lb Munich
1lb Carastan or 1lb Crystal (optional)

Steep grains in brew bag in 6.5gal water at 152-155 degrees for 90 minutes. ”Sparge” brew bag with 1/2 gallon 168 degree water in separate container. Allow grains to drain, then squeeze bag for all she’s worth. Discard grains, add “sparge” runnings to kettle. Bring to a boil and add:

40g Perle 7.5%AA at 90min (can sub German Northern Brewer)
32g Sterling 7%AA at 1min (can sub Centennial)

1 tsp Irish Moss 15 minutes (optional)

cool wort quickly with chiller to 65-70F and pitch yeast, ferment in primary 3-4 weeks.

:mug:

What is the size of your boil kettle? That will help in your decision. I struggled with trying to do 5 gallon BIAB in my turkey fryer kettle until I realized I needed to adjust recipes to fit my equipment.

My first BIAB attempts were wheat beers with simple grain bills

Since it's your first time with BIAB I'd suggest a simple recipe like a pale ale. You will be learning the process and making adjustments/mistakes as you go so it's better to do it with a fairly inexpensive list of ingredients than trying it for the first time with a big stout or IPA that requires more ingredients and more cost.

Thanks for the recipe. I'll have to tuck that one away. As for my kettle, it is a 10 gallon.

The points made are well said. I agree a simple less expensive brew is a good idea.

I have been gathering some basic info on items such as typical water absorption by a given amount of grain (.12 gallons lost per lb grain sound close?). I was going to estimate for about 8% volume loss to the boil. I figure if I sparge with about 1 gallon I can compensate for volume loss from the boil and grain absorption.

One foggy area for me was to squeeze....or not to squeeze (the GRAIN bag, that is). I have probably read more often that people do squeeze this out. Another area of uncertainty was the time to spend at 152F. Finally, should I take the pot to 170 for a time with all that grain in there, or just pull it out and sparge at 170 then add back to the boil, or do both? With a partial mash it's pretty easy, but this is the most grain I've ever worked with. Thanks all....one post on here after a little research beats an hour on google any day.

I spend 60 minutes at my mash temp, but some recipes call for 90 minutes.

During the mash out, I turn it up to 170, turn off the burner, and cover it up with blankets for 10 minutes. Then I use a pulley, lift it up, and let it sit over the pot for 25 minutes and squeeze the bag. I've been consistently getting 75% efficiency this way. However, you can take out the bag, sparge in another pot, and add the water to your first pot.

I've used Beersmith to calculate my water volume, and it's been dead accurate for me and my equipment set up.

As for your first recipe, keep it small, under 9 pounds of grains is my recommendation. My first BIAB was a Cream Ale, and it was delicious:

7 lbs Pale Ale 2 Row
12 oz Honey Malt
4 oz Biscuit Malt
1 oz Cluster (60 minutes)

Mash at 152 deg/F for 60 minutes. Mash out at 170 deg/F for 10 minutes.

Another good starting recipe is BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/

Back