Would u brew with 8 year old uncrushed wheat malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNDan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It occurs to me that I have a rubbermaid tub full of uncrushed wheat that I bought 8 years ago, but have only used once or twice for German wheat beers. Any reason I can't still use it to make a wheat beer?

It won't kill you. But you prolly won't get any extraction from it...

It might be fun to try brewing a couple small batches to see, but I wouldn't use it for anything I wanted to rely on it for.

Ancients & farmers have stored wheat & other grains for years when the harvest was good to make up for the bad years.

fullstop22 said:
Ancients & farmers have stored wheat & other grains for years when the harvest was good to make up for the bad years.

Once you crush it does it have a limited life?

Properly stored uncrushed wheat has a very long shelf life. As long as the oils inside are protected it lasts. Crush the grain and the rancid clock starts ticking rapidly. Ever back with old whole wheat flour (months), yuck.

Would I use it to brew with, hell no! I'd feed it to the birds and see if they like it.

Back