Seriously? Give me a break with the hops already.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd have to disagree. There'd be no reason to put a vintage date on it if they didn't want it to be aged at all. If you pull up a brewery's website for their barleywine, many of them will say something along the lines of "ready to drink now, but will improve with age".

I personally feel that they want you to try a bottle or two and age the other couple of bottles to see how the flavors develop.

Of course, that's not to knock the drinker that loves young barleywines. A young barleywine is something to behold in its own right. I got 4 bottles of BFBW 2011, drank one, and have to say that it's pretty good.

Yeah I was at the beer store yesterday, and a bottle of Flying Mouflan had a note written on the label, stating "Cellaring the Flying Mouflan in a cool dark place at 50 degrees for a minimum of four months will mellow out the hops and wash away the heat."

Back