Does lme expire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason81

Reaction score
Im new to brewing and was just given some equipment and some lme kits with packages of yeast there is past due expiry day on the cans and I was just gonna toss it out but then I was wondering if the lme would still be ok and just the yeast would be dead/ expired

Fresh LME and yeast are important. You'd get beer if you used the LME, but it may be oxidized. If it were me, I'd toss it. Life is too short for bad beer.

ya thats what i was thinking but i figured it might be safe since it was sealed in a can, il ditch it

I say mystery beer - use up your scrappins.

If you open the DME if it smells funky don't use it, if it smells like lme, taste it, if good, brew it. Your beer may just turn out darker looking.

I used my neighbors canned 10+ year old LME and to my surprise it was fine, no issues, and turned out a great beer.

I think about it like this, because I almost tossed out some LME. Canned goods with no dents can last something crazy like 50 years in reasonable storage conditions.

Make a porter or something with robust flavors and you will be none the wiser. I wouldn't lager it.

CidahMastah said:
I say mystery beer - use up your scrappins.

If you open the DME if it smells funky don't use it, if it smells like lme, taste it, if good, brew it. Your beer may just turn out darker looking.

I used my neighbors canned 10+ year old LME and to my surprise it was fine, no issues, and turned out a great beer.

That's what I called mine.. Used 10yr old LME from a beer in a bag set up from England.. Was hoping the molasses flavor would go away after fermentation wich it did about 80% so I turned it into a espresso session beer.. It turned out great..

Back