Have you found "The" beer to end all beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaldManBrew

Reaction score
Have you found your favorite beer? Is there one? Is it even possible? With so many different types of malts, hops and other additions, there is a limitless potential of combinations.

To me, finding my favorite beer, is kind of like searching for the Holy Grail. It may be out there, yet is surrounded with mystery. It maintains such an elusiveness that one can only pour another cold one, and reflect on their journey.

I have a lot of beers that I like. But no favorite. I still stop by the liqour store and browse. They have over a 1000 different bottles, so it'll take a while for me to get board...

For me, variety is king, so, no. I hope I never do. The prospect of something new and different to temp my tastebuds is what makes it all so exciting.

Gosh, I hope my finacee doesn't read this and get any wrong ideas!:(

My fav's change every few months or so. Started by loving the crazy Belgians, then moved to IPA. Hated the Belgians for a few months (still cant stand 3 Philosophers lately - blasphemy I know!), but now can drink a few lighter Belgians without getting a headache. Hate hoppy beers now (except Sam Smith IPA, or Twisted Thistle) and have been on a German kick lately. Fill my coffin with simple Hefe when I die. Yum!

So I guess I'm kind of a gutter slut when it comes to "favorite" beer. I fall in love quickly, then burn out and move on.

Limit me to 10 beers and I will muddle through somehow, though still missing the variety.

(perhaps Anchor Steam, Ballast Point Sculpin, Orval, Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek, Goose Island Bourbon County Coffee Stout, Lost Abbey Red Poppy, Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen, Bell's Two-Hearted, Augustiner Helles, St Bernardus Abt 12, and Cigar City Hunahpu's...ask again in 10 minutes and the list will change)

I don't think there is such a thing. I mean variety is the spice of life right?

I mean, I have a fall back beer (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I simply love it and its normally readily available) but I couldn't just drink it all the time. If I go somewhere and thats all they got, I won't complain but it won't be my first choice right away. I love going to the liquor store and just picking up a bunch of different bottles and trying them, why would I just stick to one?

I've yet to come up with one brew to rule them all... There are brews that are higher on the list of those I like/drink, but I've yet to brew one that will be the top dog...

I do like different types depending on the season... Well, mostly... I'll almost always go for a good stout/porter, even in the middle of a heat-wave. I do lean more towards full bodied brews, not caring for the light stuff. A solid ale is always welcome, not really going for the IPA's (or IIPA, or high bitterness brews)...

So far, what I've been brewing has been smooth enough to be easy enough to drink that you get hammered without realizing it. I am planning on making a strong cream ale in another month, or two, for more of a spring time brew... As soon as I can come up with a solid barleywine, I'll be brewing up some... I figure if I start that in the next month, or so, it could be ready for drinking come fall/winter of this year (so maybe around Thanksgiving time)... I am itching to make a braggot too... :D One that will drop-kick you into next week if you have too many (or more than a couple). :rockin:

I have a favourite beer. But it is a seasonal by a small brewery that I live far away from. Maybe if I had more ready access to it I would grow bored with it, but as it is the 4 times I've had it have been amazing.

The first time I had an aged Matilda from Goose Island, I said it was the best beer I've tried. I don't think that still holds true. It's a shame to stop trying new beers.

If I had to pick a beer that I'd be drinking every day, forever into oblivion, it wouldn't be anywhere near a favorite. I would have to say Carelsberg, only because the only way I'd be drinking it every day would be that I was living in Thailand, and it tastes so much better than Chang. Any other place on the planet and I'd be really sad with just one beer.

That is a great question. I recently had a Triple Hop Miller Lite. I must say after tasting it, I am hooked. I am not sure if it was the alcohol burn from the yeast similar to a belgian triple or if it was the great malt taste comparable to a damn good imperial stout or the influence of not one nor two but three, yes triple hops, that really got me, but man oh man whoever developed that is the Einstein of brewmasters.

In all honesty if I had to pick one, I would go with one of the ones that opened my eyes which would be Mad Elf or La Fin Du Monde.

This may be boring but I love Sam Adams Oktoberfest. Besides that, Pliny the Elder which I've only had twice. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

i like variety but if im at a restaurant or bar and they dont have a very good selection my favorite fall back is new castle.

That is a great question. I recently had a Triple Hop Miller Lite. I must say after tasting it, I am hooked. I am not sure if it was the alcohol burn from the yeast similar to a belgian triple or if it was the great malt taste comparable to a damn good imperial stout or the influence of not one nor two but three, yes triple hops, that really got me, but man oh man whoever developed that is the Einstein of brewmasters.

This made me laugh out loud. Assuming, of course, you drank it from a vortex bottle. :D

For me, variety is king, so, no. I hope I never do. The prospect of something new and different to temp my tastebuds is what makes it all so exciting.

Gosh, I hope my finacee doesn't read this and get any wrong ideas!:(

Before my wife and I got married we went to one of those bars that has 250 bottles and 30 taps with her parents. While studying the beer menu and discussing what to order with them I said "It's just so hard to choose, I just love them all in their own special way". My future father in law gave me a pretty curious look.

11 years later, he's always up for some of my homebrew. :mug:

I have not found my favorite yet. I dont think there is one. I like almost all of them. Right now the English Mild is on top as my favorite but when summer gets here I'm sure it will be a blonde or APA or both :)

Tough question. I imagine some can answer while others cannot. For me, my favorite beer greatly depends on mood. In the first days of spring, I want a cold Pale Ale, in the midst of winter, a warmer RIS would do the trick. Too many different moods to pick one beer that would be m favorite at any given time.

So far my all time favorite has been Hoegaarden Wit.

I have sailed to Vesuvius with Pliny, meh.
I have swooned the Blondes of Notre Dam.
I have reflected myself in the mirror pond and saw the pink elephant.

And all the while I had wished I kept my wit about me.

The Vortex is supposed to make you buy Miller because youve gotten tired of Blue Peaks by Coors by now and AB has got them whipped with their Superior Drinkability alum bottles haha here those are 18bucks a 16 pack ridiclous

Back