Chest freezer for fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wino24

Reaction score
Hi all....can I use a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber using a Ranco controller(or similar) to regulate the temp. If so, is it ok to use the freezer to keep higher temps like in the mid 60's? I'm just wondering if there would be a problem since it's designed to keep things real cold. Thanks

Could I use a "single stage" Ranco to maintain 40-45 degrees in a chest freezer? 'Cause that's what I have :) Thanks

I'm using a Chest Freezer and single stage Ranco and I'm having massive temp fluctuations. I guess I need to read up on probe placement. I have it set to 68F with a 3* variance and I come home and my Ranco is reading 61. I'm not sure how cold my beer is, though. I just have the probe sitting on my carboy and I wrapped it in a couple papertowels to try and protect against fluctuations.

I haven't read about the temp flucuations being an issue when using the Ranco with a refrig. Is there something about running the freezers at the higher temps?

I use a analog Johnson. The few months that I need heat I just put in a small light. The Freezer still maintains temp. I guess if it was cold for longer I'd rewire it for heating.

I think I'm missing something....why do you need a heat source with the freezer. Do you also need a heat source with a fridge?

it must get cold in his basement where his freezer is, and maybe he wanted to do a saison:drunk:

can you guys show us the 2 stage temp controllers. How much did you pay and where did you get it. DO you have a mini heater in the freezer?

Here's where i got mine.....

I keep the brew shed at about 40*f in the winter so the water doesn't freeze up when i'm not brewing. Some heat in the freezers is needed for lager primarys or ales.

Have a chest freezer on the patio with a single stage Ranco.I set it to 65 dg. and it keeps it right on target. it fits 2, 5 gallon buckets, and a 15 lb co2bottle. after fermentation, I turn the controller down to 38, cold crash for a couple of days, then drain to the corneys. The I carb in the freezer for a week, then put the carbed corneys in the kegerator. works pretty good. right about the time I run out of beer, I have a fresh corney to transfer.

Sudbuster,

Looks similar to my Johnson Controller. So you have to change the mode from heating to cooling then (similar to the johnson). I was looking for something that would heat and cool at the same time without changing the program. I'd like to get my fermentation into the garage but spring and fall temps very widely in 24 hours. I dont want to have to change the program twice a day. I was looking for a controller with 2 plugs maybe. One for the heater, and one for the cooler

Some of use have to use 2 stage (Heat and Cool) because of where we live. I am in Michigan and it can go from 80f during the day to 40f at night. Cool side will turn on the chest freezer and the heat side will turn on the FermWrap that is wrapped around the carboy or conical.

Linky

Linky2

I'm sorry guys... I'm just not getting this(brain fart)....
I plan on putting the chest freezer in my basement, which was is a pretty steady 64* all winter. This summer it was 73+\- 2*. Will I need a 2 stage controller? I think what I'm not understanding is the need for a "heat source". Can someone please explain this to me. Thanks

You don't need a two stage controller if you have your fermentation chamber in a place where the temp will never be lower than your desired fermentation temp. The reason for a two stage is to be able to have heat in fermentation chamber if the temps outside the chamber drop below that desired fermentation temp.

I use a refrigerator as my fermentation chamber and just have the single Johnston controller. It sits in the basement in my utility room close to the water heater and the temps never are below 70 so it works fine. You chest freezer should also.

I personally ferment low, say around 62º on my ales and do a diacetyl rest with some yeasts (Ringwood as an example) and need to get that temp raised to the low/mid 70's. Having that heat source is the only way to get that to happen. Same with lagers where I need to really be able to adjust the temps from the 50's, up to the upper 60's/low 70's, then back down to lager temps.

Is it needed, no. But it's helpful when doing both lagers and ales. And to me helps maintain a steady temp. It won't dip or climb more than 1º of my target.

Kegtoe...it's not a manual adjustment. You just set your temps and variances on each input (I think they call it something like H1 and H2) and it takes care of the rest. Getting too cold...the freezer is kicked off. Getting too warm, the heater is kicked off. And you set that variance.

Ok... I think I get it now. Thanks alot for explaining it to me. Don't know why I wasn't getting it. Thanks again.

Some of use have to use 2 stage (Heat and Cool) because of where we live. I am in Michigan and it can go from 80f during the day to 40f at night. Cool side will turn on the chest freezer and the heat side will turn on the FermWrap that is wrapped around the carboy or conical.

Linky

Linky2

This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks guys.

Ummm...one more silly question. Do I need to disconnect the freezer/refridge temp sensor or just turn it to its warmest setting?

I use a ranco single stage in a chest freezer with a modified door.

I keep the freezer in a shed. In the summer the shed temps are 100+. In the winter the shed temps are below freezing.

In the summer I have the controller set to Cool and it keeps temps at 62 perfectly. In the winter I put a small electric space heater in the fridge and hook that to the ranco on Heat and it keeps it at 62 perfectly.

Also I keep the freezer setting on the coldest setting.

What size freezer are y'all using? I'd love to do this but I'd really like to be able to get two primaries and a secondary in the chest at one time. If not two and two.

I have a 8.8 I think. I can fit two down in the main area fine, and on the 'hump' I can fit two more if I use blowoff tubes. If I wasn't lazy I'd build a collar for it.

Ummm...one more silly question. Do I need to disconnect the freezer/refridge temp sensor or just turn it to its warmest setting?

It's best to put it on the coldest setting, actually. This ensures that it does not interfere with the Ranco's operation.

I personally ferment low, say around 62º on my ales and do a diacetyl rest with some yeasts (Ringwood as an example) and need to get that temp raised to the low/mid 70's. Having that heat source is the only way to get that to happen. Same with lagers where I need to really be able to adjust the temps from the 50's, up to the upper 60's/low 70's, then back down to lager temps.

Is it needed, no. But it's helpful when doing both lagers and ales. And to me helps maintain a steady temp. It won't dip or climb more than 1º of my target.

Kegtoe...it's not a manual adjustment. You just set your temps and variances on each input (I think they call it something like H1 and H2) and it takes care of the rest. Getting too cold...the freezer is kicked off. Getting too warm, the heater is kicked off. And you set that variance.

What do you use for a heater in there, then?

I'm gearing up to do this, too, but it seems to me like putting a space heater in there is dangerous...plus, where does the cord go? Wouldn't it have to come out the lid of the chest freezer thereby keeping it from closing flush? It seems like this would make the power kick on all the time.

Back