Steeping Oatmeal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwgolling

Reaction score
I am set up for only extract brewing and I would like to experiment with oatmeal stouts or adding oats to a porter but I can't decipher clearly if that is possible by steeping.

I am set up for only extract brewing and I would like to experiment with oatmeal stouts or adding oats to a porter but I can't decipher clearly if that is possible by steeping.

You can steep them, but you won't really be adding anything without mashing them.

Mashing is easy: very simply all you do is steep the grains for a long time, then rinse them with hot water.

I have been practicing partial mashing so I can make a breakfast stout!

That is interesting. How much time makes the difference between steeping and mashing?

Steeping is generally done for 30-45 minutes at 150-160 degrees with the intention of extracting color and some flavors from grains. The "Caramel/Crystal" grains (same thing) go through a process that caramelized the sugars inside, making mashing unecesary.

Mashing is done for about an hour at 150 to 154 degrees and is much more sensative to the temperatures and times during the mash. Mashing is the process that uses emzymes to extract/convert the startches in grains to fermentable sugars. You then sparge the grians to "wash out" (my incorrect termanology) any sugars left in the grains.

When you pay for Dry or Liquid Extract, you are paying for the maltsters to perform a mash for you.

I am no expert on the topic, but this guy is: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/

Also, flaked or rolled oats do not contain the enzymes required to convert their starches to sugars. You need to mash oats with a base malt like 2-row for that to happen. The enzymes from the base malt will convert the sugars in the oats.

Back