Burner question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am ramping up to build a Heat Exchange Recirculating Mash system, and I want to set up a burner like this one for the boil.

7542b.jpg

This burner is for Natural Gas only, I assume this is because the natural gas is at a lower pressure than propane in a tank.

Can I get an adapter to convert my tank propane to low pressure so it can run through this burner, anyone have advice and/or links to places to buy what I will need?

Thanks
B^2

They have low pressure regulators for propane tanks, but I'm not sure that it would enable you to use that burner. I don't know what the difference is. I'm sure someone on here will have all the technical details, but if not, a regulator should only be about $15 for a test...from a distance...have a friend do it...with an extinguisher ready...

One of those banjo burners might be a good way to go, as well. www.homebrewheaven.com has one for $79.95 that includes a stand and regulator and puts out 200,000 BTUs.

I'd post a link, but for some reason, Homebrew Heaven's site doesn't work well with direct links. Search for "burner" and it'll come right up!

banjo.jpg

Yuri_Rage said:
One of those banjo burners might be a good way to go, as well. www.homebrewheaven.com has one for $79.95 that includes a stand and regulator and puts out 200,000 BTUs.

I'd post a link, but for some reason, Homebrew Heaven's site doesn't work well with direct links. Search for "burner" and it'll come right up!

banjo.jpg

I just got that same burner (which absolutely rocks) at Home Depot's website for $65, and shipping was free :rockin:

The difference between a NG burner and a LP burner is the size of the oriface. Propane is higher pressure then NG even with a low pressure regulator.

You can use the burner you showed but you will need to purchase an oriface for LP gas.

That Banjo burner looks good, I want to be able to do 15 gal batches buy next year so I was hoping to get a set up that could upgrade to the big 300000 BTU burner if I felt I needed that. It seems that 200,000 BTU is the max output for a High pressure propane set up. but for $60-70 that sounds like a deal!

Thanks for the info about the out let size as well. I think I will look in to this set up, because now my turkey fryer works well for 6gallon boils.

I'm definitely switching to an outside burner after my first experience on a stove.

...took forever to get up to a decent boil!

Amazon has it for $65 (free shipping and no sales tax!)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

...so this just hooks up to a regular propane tank that's used for an outdoor grill? ..or do you need an adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
No adapters are need, just a standard propane tank. This is the best burner that i've ever used bar none!!!!! It is very, very quiet!!!:ban:

Latest posts

Back