Shipping costs from hops direct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I need to get a # of centennial so I can do the Pliny the Elder Clone. My hops guy did not have any...sigh. I noticed on their web site that shipping is not calculated until the order is processed. Does any one have experience with getting hops from them and what your shipping was. If you are from the Rocky Mtn region please chime in. I would just hate to spend $10 to ship a pound of hops.

TIA
Zman

I am getting pretty good deals from a local guy that sells on ebay. It is just hard to justify $10 shipping on a $20 order.

Email them with how many pounds you plan on ordering. Thats what I did and they gave me an exact price.

I just purchased 6# of hops from HD. 6# was $10.74, 5# was $9.90 and I think she said 1 # was about $8. That first few #s are killer. After that, it is pretty reasonable. I was only going to order 5# originally, but I figured one more # for $.80 was a good idea. I can't wait until the 21rst when they arrive.

the lbs are also heavy, more so in whole hops than pellets. Its definetly worth it to pick up a couple extra lbs though than to just buy 1

I got an awesome deal from the. Why buy just one pound? :)

David

Yeah, one pound to Salt Lake City was about $7.80 and two pounds was a little over $8. The way I look at it was buy two pounds and get the second one for half price. By the way, their hops are great. Much fresher I thought than the stuff at the LBS. Opening that bag and taking a big whiff was like hitting the bong in the old days. It was overwhelming!

For a lb shipped to Michigan it was about 8.50... I was bummed it was so much as well. You could probably get a few pounds shipped for that price, but I saved about 20bux buying locally, so it was a no brainer.

Next year I'll be buying everything at once early, and then just freeze them for the year. That's the plan anyway.

Pick up the phone and call them... the girls that work the phones are great, they will have you an actual shipping price in 60 seconds.

The more you buy, the lower the shipping cost per pound.

The reason I have not gotten hops from them yet is that I am getting them from a guy I initially bought over Ebay. I am able to pick them up and he has really good prices. I have not sampled all of the hops yet but I have used his Chinooks in an Arrogant Bastard and the fuggles in a 90 Shilling Clone, and both beers are good as are the hops.

All of the hops are 08 crop and factory sealed. I just do not like the fact that they cannot give you a shipping quote until after you order. I have heard that HD has heavy lbs. I need them for the Pliny Clone mentioned in Zymurgy. I am going to have to pull the plug sooner or later. Maybe I will check out what Niko is offering

The reason I have not gotten hops from them yet is that I am getting them from a guy I initially bought over Ebay. I am able to pick them up and he has really good prices. I have not sampled all of the hops yet but I have used his Chinooks in an Arrogant Bastard and the fuggles in a 90 Shilling Clone, and both beers are good as are the hops.

All of the hops are 08 crop and factory sealed. I just do not like the fact that they cannot give you a shipping quote until after you order. I have heard that HD has heavy lbs. I need them for the Pliny Clone mentioned in Zymurgy. I am going to have to pull the plug sooner or later. Maybe I will check out what Niko is offering

You can get shipping prices before you order at HD. You dont have to wait til after.

I need to get a # of centennial so I can do the Pliny the Elder Clone. My hops guy did not have any...sigh. I noticed on their web site that shipping is not calculated until the order is processed. Does any one have experience with getting hops from them and what your shipping was. If you are from the Rocky Mtn region please chime in. I would just hate to spend $10 to ship a pound of hops.

TIA
Zman

Thanks for your order it was shipped today and should arrive wednesday or thursday at the latest.

-Niko-

I was able to have HD ship 3 pounds of hops to me via USPS Priority. It was a little cheaper, but got the hops to me in time to brew that weekend. UPS was 5 days on the ground, and Priority mail was 3 days to Ohio.

Just pick up the phone. It's nice to talk to a human in your own country for once.

I was able to have HD ship 3 pounds of hops to me via USPS Priority. It was a little cheaper, but got the hops to me in time to brew that weekend. UPS was 5 days on the ground, and Priority mail was 3 days to Ohio.

Just pick up the phone. It's nice to talk to a human in your own country for once.

I don't think I've ever seen UPS actually take 5 days to the middle of the country. Boston to LA, maybe.

How much did 3Lbs cost you with USPS? 5 lbs only cost me like $12 via UPS

UPS quotes 5 business days ground from Mabton, WA to Akron, OH. They toe the line on their promised time in the truck.

USPS shipped 3 pound in 3 days, and HD charged me $10.95. HD used a flat rate Priority box, and may have been able to fit another pound or 2 in there.

My 9lb order of whole leaf at the beginning of June was $17 (came in two boxes). Shipped via UPS, took 5 days to get from oregon here to chico. Because UPS' goal is to not make sense, the package went through hubs in Washington, Idaho, and Nevada before hitting california.

I think I just paid $8 for 3 lbs to New York State. (the other coast) :)

David

Back