Good head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bsruther

Reaction score
Our best brew so far has been from an american amber ale kit from the LHBS. It has great body and flavor. It also has a good stiff head that lasts. Is it the 60L crystal malt that gives it such good head retention? If so, can I use malto dextrin and get the same results?
Here's the recipe:
4 lbs. of English light syrup
4 lbs of Canadian light syrup
0.5 lb. 60L Crystal Malt
0.13 lbs. Roasted Barley
0.5 oz Centennial pellet hops (bittering)
0.25 oz Centennial pellet hops (flavoring)
0.25 oz. Centennial pellet hops (aroma)

That's what I would guess. Also, at what temp to you steep the grains? That might also have something to do with it... I'll let the more experienced take over...

EDIT: Oh snap, I forgot... <Usual joke about good head here>. :D

You can add carapils as a steeping grain to nearly any beer - it adds body and enhances the head, but doesn't impart much/any flavor or color.

Also, wheat malt enhances the head, but it, of course, does impact flavor and color.

Cheers,

Jim :mug:

I guess more than anything, I want to attain a better head on my lighter beers and wondered if Malto dextrin would do it for me.
I also read that flaked barley gives beer a really good head but, it's not good for the lighter beers because of haze. I may try the flaked barley when I do another amber or red of my own.

I guess more than anything, I want to attain a better head on my lighter beers and wondered if Malto dextrin would do it for me.
I also read that flaked barley gives beer a really good head but, it's not good for the lighter beers because of haze. I may try the flaked barley when I do another amber or red of my own.

Malto dextrine will give the beer body, and make it "thicker". Flaked barley will give great head, as will flaked wheat. If you are making a light beer, you can steep carapils and that will give you a good head, too.

Back