Snoqualmie Wildcat IPA clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
Hi guys,
has anyone come across a Snoqualmie Wildcat IPA clone? I have some friends that really like that beer, and I'd like to take a shot at replicating it (or at least something close to it), but I'm not really sure where to start.

Thanks
Drew

I had this in my notes. I don't recall exactly where I got it from, but I recall that this was supposed to be their recipe scaled down

10 gal recipe

20# two row
2.0# Munich 20L
.45# Crystal 15
.45# Carapils
.45# Aromatic
2oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Columbus @30

OG 1.062
IBU 76.4

Sounds tasty and the OG and IBU's look about right. Thanks!

So I brewed a version of this, this weekend. Due to the availablity of some grains, I had to tweak the recipe.

For yeast, I used Wyeasts Pacman yeast, just for giggles.

Crystal 15 -> Crystal 10
Munich 20L -> Munich 10L
And somehow I didn't end up with enough 2-row so I used pale DME in place, added near the end of the boil.

Hop schedule was all Columbus (13.0% AA, all leaf).
1.5 oz - 60 min
0.5 oz - 30 min
0.5 oz - 15 min
0.5 oz - 2 min

OG was a little higher then I wanted, closer to 1.078 then the 1.068 that I wanted.

Later that night I had a real WC from the tap and the colors and smell were really close. Should be interesting to see in a few weeks

I love thier PA on nitro.
That very beer is what convinced my fiance to buy me the whole nitro setup:D
Nothing like taking a small trip over the hill to get some of thier brew:mug:

psmurf - pls make sure to update when you try the finished product. Wildcat is the yum.

just a quick update...

A week ago, the airlock showed strong activity so I figured I was off to a good start. I figured by this last weekend I'd be taking the first gravity reading as I expected fermentation to start slowing down. Yeasts are funny creatures...

As of this morning, the airlock still showed activity about every 2-3 seconds, so I'm still waiting to take my gravity readings.

PSmurf78: where do you live? I'm not sure how big Snoqualmie's distribution area is but I suspect its only available in WA.

I live in Renton, WA, and I know that they've hooked up with some of the bigger local distributors. I've got a friend that works for Click distribution, and he keeps me up to date on the beer news :)

Locally, I've started to see some of the beer show up in QFC's, Thriftways and Fred Meyer's. I like to run out to the brewery though, because 22oz bombers are like $4, and they'll fill keg's for ya. I think a 5 gallon runs like 40 something. Good beer, great prices. The pale ale on nitro is so creamy smooth, love the avalanche winter beer, and Kim love's the wildcat (which is named after her highschool, btw).

I live in Renton, WA, and I know that they've hooked up with some of the bigger local distributors. I've got a friend that works for Click distribution, and he keeps me up to date on the beer news :)

Locally, I've started to see some of the beer show up in QFC's, Thriftways and Fred Meyer's. I like to run out to the brewery though, because 22oz bombers are like $4, and they'll fill keg's for ya. I think a 5 gallon runs like 40 something. Good beer, great prices. The pale ale on nitro is so creamy smooth, love the avalanche winter beer, and Kim love's the wildcat (which is named after her highschool, btw).

I can get their stuff all around town over here, was just curious where you were at. With the selection you have access to within a reasonable distance, I'm a little surprised that this is the one your looking to clone. Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, but you can find a lot of good stuff around you.

I've met Allison and Mick from Click before, but haven't seen them since last summer-ish

Mainly the reason why I wanted to try to clone it was I wanted to use it to gauge how well I'm doing with the brewing process. Wildcat is my baseline and I want to see if I can build a beer that stands up to it. Can I make something with a good mouthfeel, good color, building a good balance (though this is on the hoppy side).
So anyways, more then just having more beer around, it gives me a way to judge my own ability (however biased it is).

Update: Last night I moved this to a carboy to free up the pacman yeast cake for a barley wine recipe. I snuck a taste and wow, those columbus hops was a smack in the forhead. Very very up front hop aroma with a lot of bitterness, followed up with the typical green beer flavor.

One surprise though, mine has cleared up more then I remember the original recipe looking. I thought the original Wildcat had a haze of sorts but mine has had a lot of the material drop out. I'm thinking that this is going to be a fairly clear beer.

Back