Skip the secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelcollins

Reaction score
image-1764618605.jpg

Yep, all in the primary

To rack off the sediment and clear faster, I always dry hop in my secondary as well.

A lot of people dry-hop in the primary, nothing wrong with it. Nothing wrong with dry hopping in secondary either.

I do that all the time! The only thing I see that I would do differently is to not pack the dryhops into the bag so tightly. If you're going to use a bag, make sure the hops are in there very loosely, so that the beer can permeate the hops inside. Use two or three bags, if needed, so that the hops are loose in the bag. Otherwise, that's what I do. I ferment for 7-10 days or until the beer has been done a few days and is clear (or clearing well). Then gently add the hops, let sit 5-7 days, and package. That's it!

I do that all the time! The only thing I see that I would do differently is to not pack the dryhops into the bag so tightly. If you're going to use a bag, make sure the hops are in there very loosely, so that the beer can permeate the hops inside. Use two or three bags, if needed, so that the hops are loose in the bag. Otherwise, that's what I do. I ferment for 7-10 days or until the beer has been done a few days and is clear (or clearing well). Then gently add the hops, let sit 5-7 days, and package. That's it!

I just throw those leaf hops right in the carboy. I wear sanitized gloves just to feel a little better about shoving them through the hole cause that can get tricky. The real fresh ones like I will be picking from the garden today if handled pretty gently don't clog things up at all. Better to just let them float on the top from my experience. I think they soak up the beer much better. Getting them out after not so bad as well. And no problemo going to the bottles.

Yeah simple is better. The place I do a "secondary" is at bottling time. Add my priming sugar to a sanitized carboy then rack carefully into it from primary. If I lose a little so be it that's where the crap if any is to be avoided at the bottom.

I dry hop most my beers. After 2nd'ry and non-secondary runs, I prefer to secondary. Dry hop character is much less pronounced in primary.

i don't bother with secondary. i can get plenty of dry hop flavor and aroma in primary. i've actually been comlimented on this quality of my beers by people much more experienced than myself. two weeks in primary then straight to keg.

Any reasons to rack off to a secondary?

Because you like the flavor better that way. Either way works just fine and will produce similar results - but there will be differences. Many prefer the primary only, and others might like the flavors of a secondaried beer a bit better, but don't want to deal with the extra work, and other still prefer the secondaried version's flavor and are willing to do the extra work.

It is your beer, let your taste buds decide how you want to ferment your beer

And for some, their secondary fermenter may just be letting rest in the bottling bucket a few days before bottling time

Back