Actual REAL Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodskreet

Reaction score
Yesterday I was watching some of Northern Brewers Brewtv, and I watched the Dogfish head tours and Interviews. The Master brewer there mentioned briefly about a Real Breakfast Stout with real Breakfast flavors. ie; orange juice, oatmeal, pancakes, syrup, coffee, and bacon.

Has anybody else thought about this? I searched the forums and only found one thread that died pretty fast.

Would all of these flavors marry well together if done right or would it just be too much going on?

I mean everything makes sense in a stout except the orange juice and bacon. That would just throw your tastebuds a curve. I might wanna try something like this if it's not just an awful idea. Any other flavors that are "breakfast-y"?

I agree that OJ and bacon probably wouldn't fly with this one. However you could do a breakfast stout with oatmeal, coffee, and perhaps some maple syrup or lactose sugar (milk sugar) added. However, the maple would thin and dry out the beer, whereas lactose would sweeten it so it depends on what flavor you're after.

Cheers!

Yesterday I was watching some of Northern Brewers Brewtv, and I watched the Dogfish head tours and Interviews. The Master brewer there mentioned briefly about a Real Breakfast Stout with real Breakfast flavors. ie; orange juice, oatmeal, pancakes, syrup, coffee, and bacon.
this is why you don't listen to trendy US breweries trying to out weird each other for market share

Would all of these flavors marry well together if done right or would it just be too much going on?
no they wouldn't.

this is why you don't listen to trendy US breweries trying to out weird each other for market share

Yeah, I haven't been impressed with many of Sam's "What if..." beers. His straightforward non-weird stuff is good, though.

We have a local brew competition each winter, for stouts. It's not BJCP and anything goes, with high points for creativity. I judged it last year, and had a blast. There were some odd beers- French Onion Stout, Rosemary Stout, Coffee Cream Brule Stout, etc.

After thatr, I thought long and hard about how to do this competition, and that is exactly what I came up with- Breakfast Stout. No OJ, though! I thought I'd use Captain Crunch cereal in the mash, along with some oats. I planned on maple syrup, and rauchmalt (for the bacon).

I ended up never making the beer, since the competition this winter will be while we are gone to Texas. But that's where I'd start!

We have a local brew competition each winter, for stouts. It's not BJCP and anything goes, with high points for creativity. I judged it last year, and had a blast. There were some odd beers- French Onion Stout, Rosemary Stout, Coffee Cream Brule Stout, etc.

After thatr, I thought long and hard about how to do this competition, and that is exactly what I came up with- Breakfast Stout. No OJ, though! I thought I'd use Captain Crunch cereal in the mash, along with some oats. I planned on maple syrup, and rauchmalt (for the bacon).

I ended up never making the beer, since the competition this winter will be while we are gone to Texas. But that's where I'd start!

Captain Crunch sounds interesting. I bet someone's done that...off to the search function. My list of brews to try keeps growing, thank god for one gallon small batch brewing.

[edit: Yikes, there are tons of threads about using captain crunch...more reading for me]

Captain Crunch sounds interesting. I bet someone's done that...off to the search function. My list of brews to try keeps growing, thank god for one gallon small batch brewing.

[edit: Yikes, there are tons of threads about using captain crunch...more reading for me]

haha, sorry to give you so much "homework"!

But you could also use cheerios, I bet! The oat bran in that might be very interesting! Of course, that gives a whole new meaning to "cereal mash". :drunk:

I figure I've used flaked maize, and I know others have used popcorn, so why not some cereal?

I think a test batch would be a good idea. Some kid I know tried this but the final product was more like a weak porter than a stout with coffee and a bit of smoke dominating the palate. The ingredients to make it resemble breakfast included coffee, smoked malt, cooked bacon, chocolate, and maple syrup.

I like Yoopers homebrew competition rules by not being to style by BJCP. If I were to try this I think OJ would be a nice twist to a stout. IDK to each his own

And Yooper would you use the Captain Crunch with crunch berries or without?

I like Yoopers homebrew competition rules by not being to style by BJCP. If I were to try this I think OJ would be a nice twist to a stout. IDK to each his own

Without! I hate fruit in my beer. :drunk:

Fermented OJ might be kinda barfy, as I picture it tasting like OJ left out on the counter for two days. But you know, I've seen people make orange wine and it comes out really good. It would be worth a try, anyway!

Without! I hate fruit in my beer. :drunk:

Fermented OJ might be kinda barfy, as I picture it tasting like OJ left out on the counter for two days. But you know, I've seen people make orange wine and it comes out really good. It would be worth a try, anyway!

Maybe not actual OJ maybe a little orange peel? little aroma and flavor?

I've been pondering an aggressively flavored breakfast stout but no oj. Coffee, vanilla, and maple syrup and lately I have been thinking about smoked malt as well. Other than the smoke I have seen all of those flavors work very successfully in a stout, no reason to assume they wouldn't work well together in the appropriate amounts. Through my research it seems the best time to add the maple syrup is at bottling(or kegging) otherwise the flavor doesn't come through.

I haven't had it but rogue does a maple bacon stout based on a maple bacon donut(voodoo) a local donut shop serves. I'm not the biggest rogue fan but would like to try this.

This thread is making me thirsty for black beer, glad I'm kegging a milk stout later this week.

I haven't had it but rogue does a maple bacon stout based on a maple bacon donut(voodoo) a local donut shop serves. I'm not the biggest rogue fan but would like to try this.

I had this the other night. It was weird but kinda good. Not something I would drink all the time but decent none the less. I'm thinking more and more now to try this.

My local brew store brewed a batch and boiled with a pigs head for that pork flavor. Too extreme for me to try but he said it was awesome.

Sounds a bit ridiculous. What's wrong with a standard oatmeal stout along with breakfast? My absolute favorite breakfast is beignets paired with Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. The beer should compliment the meal, not encompass all flavors of the meal. I'm all for innovation & creativity, but some of these concepts are just silly. Next up: Cointreau infused barrel-aged hickory smoked blueberry oatmeal coffee stout brewed with cocoa nibs, black strap molasses and gold flakes =S

I guess the point could range from simply wanting to make a beer with the aforementioned qualities to wanting a delicious meal in a beer. Taste is always subjective...

I recently used zests in a stout and recommend not soaking them in liquor to sanitize. I used vodka and let about four orange zests soak for a few weeks. Dumped it in and got nothing but a faint vodka aftertaste. I also put some zests in he boil, maybe about one orange worth, but the aroma faded fast. I ended up zest hopping to taste and that held up well. Orange juice would come off acidic, I think.

OK...Its on. Just got back from my brew club meeting and we are having a stout and porter competition with some neighboring clubs. I'm doing an american coffee and maple stout and am not going to mess around. I am formulating the recipe but will share for some feedback. The hops are the most puzzling to me. Im thinking of northern brewer or chinook for bittering with Willamette for aroma. Any advice? I realize some bitterness will come from the coffee but I prefer hop forward beers.

I think he hops you mentioned are classic American stout hops. Thumbs up from me! Other varieties could work like Goldings or Columbus, as long as they are not too fruity for your particular beer. I wonder of Bramling Cross could fit in?

I have had the Rouge Voodoo and it is best to share with someone that REALLY likes smoked beers. I like me some strong smoke beers but a 22oz bomber of this to myself may be tough to finish. I liked the beer but it really tasted like smoke, not smoked bacon, with a nice maple syrup finish.

I also make a caffeinated, caramel, chocolate, coffee stout for 1st breakfast when camping or hunting similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout. I would NOT recommend more than 1 12 oz. bottle at a time. I HIGHLY recommend it with a side of bacon and scrambled eggs w/ cheese cooked over a campfire.

I LOVE the idea of breakfast beers but I think the idea can get itself into trouble FAST. My advise is think how to pair it. No one wants to skip a meal and drink on an empty stomach still groggy from bed. I think if it was paired with food it can open more doors while shutting ones that should be left shut.

Want to try something outlandish? Have a toasted blueberry bagel with plain cream cheese or, if you can find some, a nice spreadable goat cheese paired with a plain geuze or non-fruity, strong sour for breakfast. :rockin:

Type: All Grain Date: 9/16/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.24 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment..for now
End of Boil Volume 6.24 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal Est Mash Efficiency 76.4 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.9 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.4 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.9 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.5 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.5 %
6.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.8 %
2.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 52.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 10.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [35.49 ml] Yeast 10 -

2.5 oz ground french roast added in bag at flameout
40 oz maple syrup, racked on top of in primary
Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG 1.074 ish with syrup
Est Final Gravity: 1.018 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.1 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 62.2 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 42.5 SRM

Im thinking of ditching the maple syrup, using more two row and pure maple extract instead

And I plan to mash high at 156-158

I agree with
Zamial,who finally mentioned the Pink Pepto bottled beer. I think I would have liked it better paired,like with a bacon mapledoughnut which I actually seen VideoBeerReveiwGuy do a reveiw with. Some beers are just meant for that.

I would use hops to achieve the fruity flavors. Nelson Sauvin and Cascade might get the right aroma- combining Nelson Sauvin's white grape-like qualities with Cascade's grapefruit/citrus should create a flavoer reminiscent of either Berry or even of OJ, which the OP mentions.

I have had the Rouge Voodoo and it is best to share with someone that REALLY likes smoked beers. I like me some strong smoke beers but a 22oz bomber of this to myself may be tough to finish. I liked the beer but it really tasted like smoke, not smoked bacon, with a nice maple syrup finish.

I also make a caffeinated, caramel, chocolate, coffee stout for 1st breakfast when camping or hunting similar to Founder's Breakfast Stout. I would NOT recommend more than 1 12 oz. bottle at a time. I HIGHLY recommend it with a side of bacon and scrambled eggs w/ cheese cooked over a campfire.

I LOVE the idea of breakfast beers but I think the idea can get itself into trouble FAST. My advise is think how to pair it. No one wants to skip a meal and drink on an empty stomach still groggy from bed. I think if it was paired with food it can open more doors while shutting ones that should be left shut.

Want to try something outlandish? Have a toasted blueberry bagel with plain cream cheese or, if you can find some, a nice spreadable goat cheese paired with a plain geuze or non-fruity, strong sour for breakfast. :rockin:

I bought the Voodoo and I hated it. I gave it to 5 other people to try and it was unanimous. Blech. It inspired my thread on the worst commercial craft brews. To each his own, though. :)

Back