My first chevre

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timewasted

Reaction score
Brewing beer has gotten me started with all kinds of fermented drinks and food. I've been doing kombucha for a few months and just added cultured cheese to the list. This is my first chevre.

558681_3895279428089_1462187082_33434870_123295677_n.jpg

541974_3897921574141_1462187082_33436305_260843681_n.jpg

That looks terrific! How did it taste?
Where do you get the goats milk?
This forum has started me thinking about giving it a try.

Looks good! I told the SWMBO making cheese is next on the list. Yesterday I picked up some goat shoulder steak and threw it on the charcoal grill. Just salt and peppered the bad boy. Turned out great - although, I think I'll cook the next set of goat on wood chunks.

What an amazing animal.

Bigcorona, I got the milk from a local farmer, at a weekend organic farmers market. If you don't have anything like that near you, some grocery stores sell it as well. The big trick is not to get ultra-pasteurized milk.

It is some of the best chevre I have tasted. So fresh and delicious. I sprinkled it with herbs de provence, which was the perfect combination to the taste of the cheese.

the Chevre looks great!
check craigs list for people selling milk or people selling goats and see if they will sell some milk.

Do you have a recipe? My SWMBO's grandmother has goats and milks them, so I'd love to try this. Also if anyone is in upstate NY and wants goat milk PM me.

My wife and I have been making chèvre for the past couple of years. We have 3 dairy goats. The best recipe we have found that seems to always work for us we found in a magazine:

5 qts milk
1/8 tsp chèvre culture or me mesophilic culture
2 tblsp diluted rennet
(dilution is 3 drops rennet in 1/3 c cool water) we use double strength rennet

Warm milk to 80
Stir in culture
Add 2 tblsp diluted rennet stir well
Let sit 8-12 hours covered at room temp
Place in cheesecloth and drain 6-8 hours

We usually about double the recipe and use milk from one milking and the previous day from the fridge. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back