Caramel Apple Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not....It tasted very strong initially....YOu have to figure back sweetening with the 1lb of buckwheat would of put it back pretty close to that gravity anyway....

I say let it sit....I am however def no mead expert....lol

I am aging in a better bottle. Since we're on the subject I have around 1/2" of air space below the neck. The air space does not even come half way to the side of the carboy. Is that OK?

Ya ya sorry for the typo you try doing all your typing on a blackberry with 3hr sleep working midnights and see how it works out for you! Lmao. Are you guys just corking your carboys for long ageing or leaving the airlock in it?

Still trying to figure out if I have too much air in the "better bottle" with an "air lock for bulk aging" that may or may not be o.k. because it "tastes like rocket fuel."

I have only made mead once so far but that is what it was like until it aged. I would think as long as the bottle is sealed good you should be fine

I am aging in a better bottle. Since we're on the subject I have around 1/2" of air space below the neck. The air space does not even come half way to the side of the carboy. Is that OK?

That should be ok. Some people claim that better bottles are bad for bulk aging. I have been letting mine sit for 10 months in a glass carboy with an airlock. If it is hot then you might get a glass carboy and rack over to it. Plan on aging it for a year before you think about bottling. If you do rack it over to a glass carboy be sure to top the carboy off with water till you reach the neck.

My brother and I made this today, sort of a going away/returning present for him. He received a job offer animating in New Zealand for a year, so we will have to crack open the first bottle when he gets back!

My OG was 1.138. Also I goofed and added the 2 vanilla beans to the primary. Oh well, I'll just have to see how this turns out.

Any reason someone couldn't replace the DME with pale malt? Also I'm having trouble finding buckwheat honey, I was thinking maybe I could replace it with grain. I haven't had buckwheat honey so I could say what it tastes like.

Any reason someone couldn't replace the DME with pale malt? Also I'm having trouble finding buckwheat honey, I was thinking maybe I could replace it with grain. I haven't had buckwheat honey so I could say what it tastes like.

It tastes like honey with a lot of earthy type flavors followed by a kick to the face from David Beckham. I'm not sure if there is a malt to replace that with. Worse case scenario, I think I would swap it out for more orange blossom honey.

I bought my buckwheat from my local heath food store in 1 lb containers for $5 each.

PS: If you spill a little of the must on the kitchen floor, be sure clean it all up. SWMBO was not amused.

Brewed this up to recipe todat, but exchanged 3.21 #s of maris otter for the DME. Added 4 gallons of apple juice and did not reach 5 gallon volume. I'm sure it's because of extra grain absorption. Good news is that my gravity was above the limit of my refractometer, so I added some more juice and some water to get it up to volume and ended with 1.116 OG. Definitely close enough for me. Now for the long wait

Racked mine over to and added the vanilla bean just like the recipe said. Have many people once they racked to secondary had much activity in the bubbler? When I racked it over I had almost no activity (one in a min or 2). Trying to make sure I just didn't stall it. Work has been crazy So I will pull a gravity again tomorrow. The main reason to ask is the first batch of mead I made is still bubbling after a good month and half on a carboy. This one seems to have settled out a lot faster

Well 6 months later I've tried it and it is awesome. Worth the wait. As for the the secondary I had barely any activity if at all. Also this was my first mead attempt and am happy to say I will be making another very soon.

Just made 6 gallons with meadowfoam honey, the smell is amazing. I've never used k1 before. Also I've never had to use a blowoff tube either... until now. This is fermenting like mad. I over shot my SG a little so I think this will end up around 15% after I top it up with cider once primary is done.

Mine ended up at 15.7%, following this recipe. OG 1.138, FG 1.018.

I made this on 11/23/10 and watched it until the gravity stopped dropping and settled to 1.022, so I stabilized it on 3/13/11. It tasted very sweet at the time, almost too sweet, so I didn't add the additional pound of buckwheat honey after stabilizing. I bottled it on 9/25/11 after bulk aging it for 6 months. The gravity had dropped while aging, which I found to be weird, because the gravity had not changed for 2 months before aging, I didn't add any more fermentables, and I stabilized it. Gravity at bottling time- 1.018. It still tastes great, just a lot more dry tasting than it was 6 months prior.

I drank the residuals from my bottling bucket with a cut of steak. It paired very well. We'll see how it ages in the next several months.

I started a 2 gallon batch of this about 2 weeks ago (11/5/11) - sounds interesting and hope it turns out. I have mine fermenting in a fermentation chamber at 70F.

Unfortunately I was doing two mead recipes at the same time and added all the buckwheat honey upfront - wonder why my og was so high... haha. Well they blew over pretty good and I ended up racking into my glas jugs and needing to add water to each (about two cups each). Hopefully it evens out the excess buckwheat addition. I am now in secondary with 2 vanilla beans.

Looking forward to it either way!

I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying this recipe. There room for experimenting, as many of the posts show, and I'm sure there's room for improvement as well. The important ingredients are the honey, apple juice, and crystal malt - and even these can be substituted for different varieties, brands, and roast levels.

Hey Summer...I've been absent from the boards for quite a while..took a break from brewing..but am kicking back up again..and this is going to be my first mead to make for the new year. Gathering ingredients now! I can't believe I haven't made this one yet, but there are soooooooo many good recipes and so little time!!! ha ha ha.

Good to see you here too!

Dan

just bottled my batch today which I noted about a 1.020-2 ish f.g. (if you recall I put all the buckwheat honey in upfront by mistake). Aside from standard green cider tastes it was very promising. I bottled about a case worth and plan to let it sit a long while before I crack one open.

I'm ready to bottle. Can I possibly prime it by naturally allowing it to carbonate? Would the flavor change?

I'm ready to bottle. Can I possibly prime it by naturally allowing it to carbonate? Would the flavor change?

This is a still wine if I am not mistaken. Be careful about bottle bombs unless you have a kegging system or plan to bottle pasteurize.

Stupid question.... Cans you use generic normal every day use liquid honey? Also do you cut the vinalla bean pod in half?

Stupid question.... Cans you use generic normal every day use liquid honey? Also do you cut the vinalla bean pod in half?

I think that you need to have the buckwheat honey to get the full effect (probably ok subbing regular honey for the other honey additions (clover and orange blosssom)). When I sampled mine at bottling, the buckwheat honey really added a flavor that you won't get with regular honey. Almost molasses like.

I cut my vanilla in half and scraped the seeds into the secondary.

What would you guys recommend for making a 1 gallon batch? just divide everything by 5?

Also since I'm a complete F.U.N. could you explain the steps for doing a yeast starter?

I'm getting ready to do a JAOM for my 1st try at Mead, but this one sounded sooo good...

CidahMastah said:
I think that you need to have the buckwheat honey to get the full effect (probably ok subbing regular honey for the other honey additions (clover and orange blosssom)). When I sampled mine at bottling, the buckwheat honey really added a flavor that you won't get with regular honey. Almost molasses like.

I cut my vanilla in half and scraped the seeds into the secondary.

I think he is asking transverse or lateral cut, cut the bean length wise and use the blunt end of a blade to scrape the bean out and enjoy the heavenly aroma..

henryVance3

What's the proper way to use the been, I get cutting it lengthwise but I want to scrape out the inside into the secondary asnd discard the rest or vice versa??

I am used to using them more in food cooking... In my last mead I cooked the beans for 15 min in the must then I opened them and scraped them into the must and threw the beans back in and simmered for 45 min and strained the must when I transferred it to the primary. It all depends on how much vanilla flavor you want, I know allot of people add the whole bean to the primary in imperial stouts.

henryVance3

What's the proper way to use the been, I get cutting it lengthwise but I want to scrape out the inside into the secondary asnd discard the rest or vice versa??

Scrape and throw the whole thing in and then treat it like oak. Rack off when you have enough flavor or go with only one bean and determine if you need more after that has time to blend in.

Sounds good...

I do a Vanilla Milk Stout where I put two beans into the secondary split down the middle length wise and get a descent vanilla profile from that but haven't used them in a mead yet. I've been wanting to get this recipe going and looks like Monday may finally be the day.

Yea it just seems to really depend on what else is in your beverage as far as how much vanilla will show up. I have done this recipe and also a cinnamon vanilla mead. The vanilla is extremely more profound in the later and I believe that is mostly due to it not having to take a back to seat to the apple and malt.

Yea it just seems to really depend on what else is in your beverage as far as how much vanilla will show up. I have done this recipe and also a cinnamon vanilla mead. The vanilla is extremely more profound in the later and I believe that is mostly due to it not having to take a back to seat to the apple and malt.

good point...that vanilla cinnamon sounds interesting how'd it come out for u?

Started up a batch of this on 2/14, wasn't able to make a starter but the yeast didn't seem to mind. SG is down to 1.023 so far and it seems to be coming along nicely. This is my first 5 gal batch of mead and this recipe is what really got me interested in mead making/homebrewing. You've created a monster Summersolstice! LOL :mug:

I am doing it for the first time tonight. This will be the first thing I ever ferment, except certain leftovers in the fridge.

Great advice gained here. Thanks SS for posting this.

Back