1500 Watt Hotplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hotplate user here.. From my experience, if you could boil five gallons with one, it would take a looong time. It took me about an hour and half to get two and half gallons up to boil with mine. I used a 1550 watt double burner (both burners total 1550) with the pot straddling both burners. And that is with the lid partially on. IMO, it would be near impossible to boil five gallons. A pot big enough to hold five gallons with room for foaming, is a helacious heat sink. I'm going to get a Bayou Classic (or similar) propane burner.

Beermaker and Lounge Lizard,

Thanks for the quick response. If the 1500 Watt hotplate would take a long time, is there another option that can be pursued for easy indoor brewing of a 5 gallon wort?

Thanks,
Dave

:D You can brew in a kettle on the stove, cool, pour into the fermentor, and top off up to 5 gallons with water, a 20 qt pot works nice, and can fit into an ice bath in your sink to cool it down to. Just hace to cook up 2.5- 3 gallons on the stove, and make the rest up in the fermentor. Thats how i got started, small batching in the kitchen. Then moved to a larger kettle on a propane burner on the patio or deck, then to my contraption I have now. I soon hope to get this ..... http://www.nabrewing.com/complete/0117032bblcompbrewery.shtml if my money manager will let me.

Multiple hotplates would work. Split the wort in half. Once they are both boiling, mix them together in one pot.

If you are just starting out and doing extract (with maybe some steeping grains), you could get by with a partial wort boil as well. Boil two and a half gallons (including the extract), and then after an hour, add the rest of the water that has been in the fridge. It will cool your wort right down to pitching temp.

I strained my hot wort into the fermenter, added a few gallons of cold water, and viola, was just about ready for the yeast.

Maybe someone else will have some better ideas... which is quite possible... lol

Welcome to the forum....

Beermaker said:
Polygomy Porter? I love it lizard.............

There really is such a brew! lol Made by Wasatch Beers in Utah. It's what us disaffected Mormons drink... ;)

Latest posts

Back