Saison BBD Saison Furtif

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This turned out great! Delicious and will knock you on your butt if you aren't careful. :drunk:

Picking the goods up for this tomorrow...yeast arrived special order today! Can't wait to brew this up this weekend!

Well i didn't get to it as soon as I would have liked...but just as well as I have another question...after reading some of the comments about brewing temperatures...I'm generally in the range of 71 and 73 during fermenting. I picked up a brew belt to try to bump the temp up to the 80 range. Has anyone used one of these before that would recommend it or would i just be better off leaving it where its at (71-73 range). The instructions say not to leave the belt on for longer than 8 days...and I see some of you guys have been leaving this brew in the primary for 3-4 weeks.

If you're usually in the low 70's, you can get it up around 80 by just wrapping the fermenter in a blanket and letting it's own heat warm it up.

I started around 71 ambient then slowly ramped it up through the fermentation process to 78 ambient. This was before my fermometer so I'm sure it was warmer during the initial stages and stayed fairly constant as fermentation slowed and the room temp went up.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Home Brew Talk

30 minutes into the mash right now... looking pretty good. I don't know if I can get the temp right- will 65-70 work?

Ended up smelling pretty good. BIAB ended with a FG of 1.075; perhaps I was a bit overzealous with double crushing my grains. I am excited for this brew.

I've read through all of these comments a couple of times and I don't think anyone has had a batch turn out poorly! Nice recipe.

After over a month in primary the FG is 1.010 (OG was 1.07), is there anything I should do to get that lower or is that fine? Like I said a lot of people were around 1.009 and had great batches so I'm not too worried. I tried the sample and it was right on, smelled and tasted a bit fruity with all the pepperyness.

manofthewild07 said:
I've read through all of these comments a couple of times and I don't think anyone has had a batch turn out poorly! Nice recipe.

After over a month in primary the FG is 1.010 (OG was 1.07), is there anything I should do to get that lower or is that fine? Like I said a lot of people were around 1.009 and had great batches so I'm not too worried. I tried the sample and it was right on, smelled and tasted a bit fruity with all the pepperyness.

Did you add the sugar at the tail end of fermentation? Give it some time to get those last points, they take a bit. 3711 is a beast!

So I brewed this up a week ago Sunday. I tried wrapping it in a blanket hoping to get the temp up...but it didn't go much above the normal temp ranges I listed above. I ended up using a brew belt and managed to get the temp up to 80. I plan on leaving this for 3 weeks in the primary before i rack it to the carboy for a week or so. Should I leave the brew belt on for the whole 3 weeks to maintain that temp or could I let the temp drop off a bit and wrap it in a blanket? I've added the Belgian sugar on Thursday and took a gravity reading yesterday (1.006). My OG was a little off...1.052 not counting the Belgian candy sugar)...can I expect this to go much lower in the next couple weeks?

This is the first extract beer i've made from following a recipe I found online...so I'm a bit more paranoid about this one...especially with all the outstanding reviews...i want this one to turn out! So thanks to everyone for answering my questions!

Mark

I just drank a bottle of this that was bottled last March. It aged great. It was good young but with age it is awesome.:mug:

So I brewed this up a week ago Sunday. I tried wrapping it in a blanket hoping to get the temp up...but it didn't go much above the normal temp ranges I listed above. I ended up using a brew belt and managed to get the temp up to 80. I plan on leaving this for 3 weeks in the primary before i rack it to the carboy for a week or so. Should I leave the brew belt on for the whole 3 weeks to maintain that temp or could I let the temp drop off a bit and wrap it in a blanket? I've added the Belgian sugar on Thursday and took a gravity reading yesterday (1.006). My OG was a little off...1.052 not counting the Belgian candy sugar)...can I expect this to go much lower in the next couple weeks?

This is the first extract beer i've made from following a recipe I found online...so I'm a bit more paranoid about this one...especially with all the outstanding reviews...i want this one to turn out! So thanks to everyone for answering my questions!

Mark

If you sed the 3711 yeast, you can expect this to drop a few more points. Possibly creep right down to 1.000. I'd keep it warm the whole time until the yeast finish out completely.

Excellent! It is the 3711 yeast I'm using...so i'll let this bad boy sit for awhile yet then!

Thanks again for your help!

Just brewed this up for the 1st time on Saturday. My mash temp was a little too high, but I got 71% efficiency with a BIAB set up - first time I got above 65%! My OG ended up being 1.063 because I cut down on the malt just a bit, so I was pretty much right on target.

I ended up using WLP565 because 3711 was nowhere to be found, and made a 1 liter starter. I pitched the yeast at 6PM and by midnight, it was SO LOUD in the fermentation closet from the bubbles in the blow off jar. Fermenting around 80 for 3 days and the machine-gun bubbling has slowed significantly now.

Plan to add the 1# sugar today unless you think I should wait until day 4 or 5...? Thanks for the killer recipe.

I like to add the sugar just as the fermentation starts to slow down. Basically when the krausen just starts to fall down.

Thanks Cheshire

After 3 days, the bubbling slowed a lot so I opened the bucket and was pleased to see most of the krausen was gone. I took an OG reading and saw that my 565 starter took it from OG of 1.063 to 1.010 in 3 DAYS!!!!! The sample tasted good, albeit VERY yeasty and cloudy because it's so young.

I got my pound of sucrose dissolved in about 3.5 cups of water, boiled for 5 minutes, cooled and gently poured into my bucket. Then I was gently spinning my bucket for about a minute. The bubbling kicked up again hardcore almost immediately and has now slowed again after 12 hours. Now, it's just a matter of patience! But I'm eager to see how low my OG will go from here.

Cheshire, you recommend racking to 2ndary after about 3 weeks? I usually don't rack to 2ndary but I will just so I can wash the yeast and get another batch going sooner if need be. Thanks!

Next time, don't worry about stirring in the sugar solution. Just pour it in. The yeast will find it in there. That way it won't set you back any time on settling.

I must reiterate! This beer is awesome!

I was told by a beer judge that I should enter it into the pro-am...and that's still months away. Guess I gotta hold onto more than just my usual 3 bottles. That's going to be tough!

Next time, don't worry about stirring in the sugar solution. Just pour it in. The yeast will find it in there. That way it won't set you back any time on settling.

It wasn't that I stirred in the solution. I poured it in gently, then sealed my bucket and spun it around a few times to create a splash-less whirlpool in the beer. Whatever the case, I'm very eager to take another reading in a few weeks and sample the goods.

Yep, just saying that no mixing is required at all. I just pour mine in really gently and seal it back up. The yeast find the sugar.

I know others have already said it, but this beer ages so damn well. I brewed this back in July and drank one of my few remaining bottles last night and was just floored by how good it was. It was delicious to begin with, now its straight-up phenomenal.

Has anyone tried an all-grain version?

Xmas holidays got the best of me and it sat in the primary for almost 4 weeks. Racked to the carboy last weekend..and planning on bottling this bad boy tomorrow! I'm not one to wish time away...but i'd love to fast forward 3 weeks so I can try it out!!

the sample I took tasted amazing. A little bit of a hot alcohol taste to it, but only a little. hopefully that will mellow out in the bottles.

I racked to my secondary today after 3 weeks in the primary. I also noticed a hot alcohol taste, as I used WLP565 and fermented in the 80s...hope it wasn't too hot.

How did your Saison taste after some bottle conditioning? Was the hot alcohol taste still there? Or did it benefit from a little aging/carbonation?

The warmer I ferment, the more heat I can taste in it after conditioning. It goes away some, but not completely. This stuff is good after a few weeks and is great after a few years.

Thanks Cat. I went from 1.063 to 1.004 in those 3 weeks, not bad!

I was planning to bottle after 2 weeks in the secondary...I know that waiting longer will probably be better for me. Would you suggest waiting longer (like maybe 1 month?) or just bottling after 2 weeks and bottle condition for longer.

Also - do you cold crash this saison for clarity? Or does it benefit from a little yeast haze?

I'm not equipped to cold crash anything yet, but I have a big cooler I'll be using as soon as I can get an outlet fixed in my garage The wheat in this recipe tends to give a nice haze to it.

In my experience, bulk conditioning is a good thing. Extra time in a fermenter tends to condition faster than in bottles.

i was thinking of adding some apricot puree to the primary, do you think it woud work with this beer?

If you like that sort of thing, I think it might. I wouldn't do it, personally. I'd suggest making it straight first and then deciding if you think it would go well.

I bottled this today.

3 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary. I used WLP565 and went from 1.063 to 1.004 - so I'm at 7.7% which is EXACTLY like Hennepin.

When I transferred to 2ndary the sample tasted like hot alcohol but the sample today when bottling (after 5 weeks total) tasted excellent and very much like Hennepin. I used a little over 1 cup of dextrose to 5.25 gallons of beer cause I wanted a little more carbonation.

I will crack my first sample in 2 weeks but I am thrilled at how the sample tasted...and I cannot believe how close to Hennepin it was. 50+ bottles of Saison? Are you kidding me?! Thanks Cat

Your recipe sounds great, Mr. Cat, and so I'm going to try it for my first Saison.

I should probably read this whole lengthy thread, but perhaps it won't hurt to ask. I know a beer like this begs to be bottled, but I recycled all my bottles when I built my keezer. So to keg this, how many volumes of CO2 should I be aiming for?

Your recipe sounds great, Mr. Cat, and so I'm going to try it for my first Saison.

I should probably read this whole lengthy thread, but perhaps it won't hurt to ask. I know a beer like this begs to be bottled, but I recycled all my bottles when I built my keezer. So to keg this, how many volumes of CO2 should I be aiming for?

I would suggest finding a way to bottle at least part of the batch. This brew ages very well. I just pulled a bottle that has aged for about 8 months and it is fantastic.

So what are some good commercially available Saison beers that I could try to compare this?
Mine came out much darker than it "should" have. It definitely has the spicy bite that everyone explains, but I don't know much about Saison. So I'd like to have something to compare it to.

So what are some good commercially available Saison beers that I could try to compare this?

Try Hennepin by Ommegang Brewery - it's my favorite Saison I ever tried. Much better than Dupont IMO but different strokes for different folks.

hennepin-poured.jpg

Back