If you like beer&bbq, you'll LOVE this..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had seen his design before. It is nice. An oven similar to that is on my list of projects. I think a smokehouse is first though. :D

Wouldn't it just be easier to order out?;)

Nice set up if you have the means, the time to build it and nice weather. Cold as it gets here in the winter, it would sit pretty idle for ~ six months out of the year.:(

Thanks for the link. I currently make a killer thin crust pizza on a stone in my grill (see my "Grilled Thin Crust Pizza" recipe); but I've been thinking more and more about building a genuine wood fired oven to take it to the next level. This is a great place to start getting ideas.

Rhoobarb said:
Wouldn't it just be easier to order out?;)

Nice set up if you have the means, the time to build it and nice weather. Cold as it gets here in the winter, it would sit pretty idle for ~ six months out of the year.:(

I never limit my grilling to the warmer months. Rain, sleet or snow, no matter how cold, if I have something good to grill, I'm out there.

Erbium:YAG said:
I never limit my grilling to the warmer months. Rain, sleet or snow, no matter how cold, if I have something good to grill, I'm out there.
I try to use my smoker in winter when it isn't too bad out. It doesn't need much tending to once you get your temp right. But if it's 10oF or below without the windchill factor, it's just too cold and too hard to maintain temps.

That pizza oven looks like it would need a lot of tending to in frigid temps and high winds - both of which we get a lot of in winter! ;)

Rhoobarb said:
I try to use my smoker in winter when it isn't too bad out. It doesn't need much tending to once you get your temp right. But if it's 10oF or below without the windchill factor, it's just too cold and too hard to maintain temps.

That pizza oven looks like it would need a lot of tending to in frigid temps and high winds - both of which we get a lot of in winter! ;)

Yes and no. The thing about the oven is that it has a huge thermal mass, and it takes a while to build heat, but once you got it, you can cook forever on it. I've spent a LOT of time on sites reading about building these and it has led me to a few important conclusions:

1) The dome is beeter than the vault chamber.
2) Ya gotta build a roof over these, and keep them dry. The stone will absorb moisture, and when you heat the oven the moisture cannot be driven off quick enough. You essentially get steam pressure within the porous stone, and explosions can occur.
3) You better do this right...or at least get someone who knows a bit about masonry; if you screw this up (easy as it may look) you'll have a 2,000 pound lump of rock in your back yard that will be REALLY hard to demolish. SWMBO would never let me pick up a hammer again!

Back